Can't See Straight

Start from the beginning

"You're… you're such a pretty boy, you know…" the woman drawled, one of her hands resting against his chest as she more or less pushed him against the wall.

"Angie, you're my boss! And I think you had a bit much to-"

"So what! So, have you ever been with a woman, Mark? A real woman? I bet it's true that the blind are more sh-sensitive lovers, isn't it? You look sensitive, you know… like a little losht boy… maybe mommy should take you home and tuck you into bed?" Her caresses had become bolder and as Mark felt his dress shirt being pulled up a little, he pushed the woman away more firmly. He heard the party going on around them and didn't want to make a scene, though.

"Angie! Stop!" he hissed.

"Aw, come on, mommy will-"

"There you are, Mark," a familiar voice said.

"Jake!" the blond fought an urge to jump into the man's arms, just to get away from the drunk woman. His voice, and probably his expression too, all but screamed 'save me'.

"Mishter Barlow," Angelica slurred. "Me and mishter Shanders were jusht… jusht leaving."

"I don’t think you understand, Miss Smith," Jake said darkly and suddenly the younger man felt himself being pulled against the CFO's side. "Mr. Sanders and I are here together."

"You… what?" Angie said and Mark could imagine her gaping, because he was too. He didn't say anything though, or pull away from the one-armed embrace.

"Yes, I just had to see to our clients for a while first. I hope you understand that I require your discretion regarding this matter, however? Even though we don't work at the same department we would like to keep this quiet for now… this company has a very strict policy when it comes to sexual harassment after all, especially between a manager and an employee."

"I… I…" the woman stuttered. Mark wasn't sure how much of what Jacob had said she had actually understood.

"I think you were leaving, Miss Smith? An early night might be for the best…" the CFO went on.

"Yes… Yes… I'll… call a cab…" she mumbled and scurried off, a bit unsteadily if Mark's ears didn't deceive him.

"Thank you for the save," he mumbled as he pulled away a little.

"I told you she was a cougar," the older man snorted. "There's always someone like this at every company… claiming they are party animals and getting wasted at an office party like idiots… very classy."

"Yeah… um…"

"I wasn't actually interrupting-?"

"No! No, god no..." Mark shivered. "But, um… what you said-?"

"Was to get her off your back, not you on yours," the man said in a low chuckle. Mark blushed because the tone, hell, the whole sentence… did he have to be that blunt?

"People are already talking," he argued.

"Does that bother you?"

"No, but… well… it's not right, after all... I'm not… I'm not gay."

"How do you know?"

"Excuse me?" Mark exclaimed defensively.

"How do you know? Are you absolutely sure, because you give off some signals-"

"I don't! The signals, I mean! I… I've only dated women! I think I would know if I didn't like them! I'm twenty-three!"

"Well, I'm not saying you don't like them… but maybe you like both? And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a feeling they make you… uncomfortable."