Seven - [The Ride.]

Start from the beginning

"It's...It's a long story," I said quietly.

"It's okay," He responded. "I understand."

We drove into the town that he'd talked about, and it wasn't long until he spotted the place.

"Look, there it is."

I looked to where he was beckoning. It was a reasonably sized used car. There were a few people looking at cars here and there, with car salesman helping them.

He pulled into a parking spot, and the two of us got out together. No sooner had we got there than a man saw Brantley, and began walking over to us.

"Brantley! Nice to see ya, buddy," The man, clearly Aaron, said as he shook Brantley's hand.

"Nice to see you too, man. This is my friend, Kennedy," He said, beckoning to me.

Aaron smiled at me, shaking my hand as well.

"We're looking for a car for her."

"A truck, preferably," I spoke up.

"Good, we've got lots of those around here," Aaron said. "Stick shift or automatic?"

I blushed, thinking of the conversation Brantley and I had earlier.

"Automatic."

We began walking around the lot, looking at different trucks. Some were too small for me, others much too large. We were looking at a car that was almost right when I saw the truck I wanted.

It was a black Chevy, with black rims. It was lifted a good amount, but not as much as Brantley's truck. I wouldn't have that much trouble getting into it. Just one big step.

"I want that one," I said, pointing.

The two of them turned, spying the truck that I'd pointed out.

"Don't you think that's a little...big for you, Kennedy?" Brantley asked, frowning. I smiled at him.

"I can handle it just fine," I said confidently. He raised his hands up in a sign of defeat.

"Your money, your choice."

We checked that one out, and Brantley looked at the engine. The three of us even went on a test drive of it, with me in the driver's seat. The inside of it was black on black as well.

"So, what do you think?" Aaron asked.

"This is definitely for me," I said.

"Let's go inside and do some paperwork, then."

Brantley's phone rang. He looked at the caller ID and scowled.

"I've got to take this. I'll just meet you out here when you're done," Brantley said, holding up his ringing phone. I looked at him quizzically for a moment, but I wasn't about to ask the question I wanted to.

"Sure," I answered finally, and turned to follow Aaron into the office.

In less than forty five minutes, I was out of the office with the title of the truck in my hand and insurance on it. I even had temporary tags that would last for a while before I had to get real ones. And most importantly, I had the keys.

Brantley was leaning up against his truck, holding a couple of coffees in his hand. I walked up to him and he handed me one.

"How did you know that I liked coffee?"

He rolled his eyes.

"Everyone likes coffee," He said in a playful "duh" sort of way.

"Well, thank you."

"That's what gentlemen do."

I laughed in the same playful way that he had teased me.

"Oh, is that funny?"

"I would hardly qualify you as a gentleman," I lied. "But really, thank you for taking me here. I really appreciate it."

"What are friends for?" He asked, shrugging.

There was that word again.

He scribbled down his phone number and gave it to me, and he got into his truck again, closing the door after him.

"Call me if you get lost...Or if you, you know, need anything."

"Okay. Thanks," I muttered again.

"No problem," He said. He turned the truck on.

"I'll see you later."

"Bye, Kennedy."

Author's Note: Sorry, I was really lazy in regards to posting this chapter. It shouldn't have taken me this long to write it, and it did. I really hope you like the interaction between B & K on this. Any ideas on their couple name? What do you think will happen between the two of them? Who do you think was calling Brantley?

XOXO,

Jasmine.