Chapter 40: Color My World

Start from the beginning

In fact, it was kind of interesting. Did you know there's a whole theory about love that's based on the color wheel and the ancient Greek language? There is.

1:55 PM I like to say I Love everything (that is, when I don't Hate everything). I Love puppies and (sigh) s'mores -- but I also Love my brother and my parents, especially my mom.

If I hadn't had a recent collision with that privacy thing, I might have added this: I used to think I Loved Brady. I knew I Loved Craig, just not in 'that' way. And, even though I Hated her, deep in my heart I guess I still Loved Madison. There were moments when I was sure I Loved Dave Brown too ... but I figured it was best to forget that since the elephant ear incident probably insured he would never Love me back.

The Greeks were smarter about Love. Just like there are three basic colors, they believed there were three different kinds of love, and each of them had its own special word:

Eros = Red

Ludus = Yellow

Storge = Blue

All the colors in the world are made from mixing red, yellow and blue. And all the types of love in the world are made from mixing Eros, Ludus and Storge.

2:18 PM BTW, according to the Official Rules of Teen Relationships, somebody owes me a Tearful Break Up Scene.

2:59 PM What? No comments? StatsChekr tells me: 42 unique users have logged onto my blog today. Not one of you has anything to say?

3:23 PM Not one of you? 

So, about that color thing: 3 colors / 3 loves.

RED = EROS: Eros is kind of the same guy as Cupid. His type of love means desire. In some versions of mythology it is said that Desire was born when Love and War hooked up. I'm thinking that sounds about right. Eros love is red hot passion. It's that incredible feeling you get when Cupid's arrow strikes you right in the heart, when nothing makes sense and you don't even care because all you want is to see and touch and taste and ... well, I think you get the idea.

YELLOW = LUDUS: Ludus means Sport or Gaming. It is also the name of an ancient school for gladiators. Hmmm, love as a fight to the death? Yeah, I can see that. Ludus is tennis ball yellow. If you are the ludus type of lover you think of Love like a game. One week you have one partner, the next week you have another, sometimes you play doubles on the sly. It's all fun but it doesn't usually lead to anything serious.

BLUE = STORGE: Storge is a lot like affection. It is the true blue kind of love you have for your parents or your best friends. People who are in storge-style relationships fall in love gradually. They have stuff in common. They spend time around each other. Then one day they wake up and think, Hey! I think I love that guy! And maybe they do.

5:55 PM I wish I knew what to wish for.

Finally, a comment.

flowrgrrl: Brace yourself, girl. Tearful Break Up Scene coming up in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ...

I held my breath but nothing happened. It was at least two minutes before my phone buzzed next to the monitor. "Meet me at the coffee shop." Brady.

7:54 PM One Tearful Break Up Scene: Delivered, as ordered. No list tonight, my friends. No more color stuff either. Everything's gone black.

***

Sunday, July 6, 10:10 AM Term of the Day: Sequitur - A consequence of an action or series of actions. It follows.

I leave for vacation soon. There's something I need to say before I go:

dear madison, dear craig, dear brady, dear dave, dear kiersten, dear jacob, dear flowrgrrl ( that is you, right, lily?), dear loyal zooliolians,

There are a lot of words on this blog. I think maybe I used up more than my share. And now that I need the right words so desperately ... I can't find them. Here's my wish: Read my heart and tell me it will all be OK.

<3

Less Than ThreeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara