Chapter 16 - One Year Later in Storybrooke

Start from the beginning

"Oh hey, Davina," Mary Margaret greets.

"Hey, Mary Margaret. We've got to stop bumping into each other. It's been seven months and we still do it?" I joke.

We laugh, and only then I look at who she's with, and I almost choke on my breath.

It's Prince Charming. He's here, and alive, and no longer in a coma. I haven't thought about my time in the Enchanted Forest in weeks. I've barely had time to think about finding my ship because work has been quite busy, and there's something constantly happening in the town. From the mine shaft collapsing to Mr Gold almost burning Regina alive so Emma could win the position of town Sheriff. It was hectic. And I'm out of breath after being in shock after seeing Charming.

"Hello..." I barely breathe out.

"I'm sorry...do I know you?" He says.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Davina this is David, David this is Davina," Mary Margaret introduces.

I fumble with my bag and cup before I give him my hand to shake, which he takes and shakes awkwardly.

"David's had a bit of a memory loss and we had a bit of trouble at first but now, we're happy." Mary Margaret says and looks up at him with such adoration. Just like she did in the Enchanted Forest.

"It's nice to meet you," I say.

"You too," David says.

"Well, I need to get going. I have a lot to do before I pick Henry up."

"Okay, see you around Davina. Have a nice day, and say hi to Henry for me," Snow says.

~ Present Day ~

"It's okay. It wasn't your fault," I say to the both of them. I pull away and they smile at me.

"I'm so glad you remember, but, I have to go. I need to see Henry."

"So do we, follow me," Snow says, and takes us through the backstreets, avoiding the crowds.

Once we're there, I run through the hospital to Henry's bed, pushing past several people, earning a few angry comments as I do so, not that I care. ignore them, as I burst through the door where Henry is. He's awake.

"Henry! You're okay!" I say and rush in to hug him.

"Davina...you're here! Wait...do you remember? Who were you in the book?" He asks excitedly.

"Henry...there's something I need to tell you and you'll find out soon, but right now, it has to wait because I have to ask something first," I say and turn to Emma. "What just happened out there? What's changed? There is chaos."

"The curse broke...I broke it. But, we have a problem. No one's seen Gold."

"What?"

"He's vanished. No one's seen him since I broke it."

Thoughts race through my brain, trying to figure out what he's up to. We had many conversations throughout the year, and I'm sure he dropped a hint at some point, and there's something in the book...

"He brought magic back," I say in realisation, "I have to warn everyone. I'll be at the town hall," I say to Emma.

I sprint through the streets, shouting at anyone I pass by to get to the town hall and to tell everyone else.

Every citizen has gathered, and no one is listening to Snow or Charming who are desperately trying to get everyone to quieten down. Every fairy tale character is shouting their questions, determined to get their answer first, but they won't get them until they're quiet and listen. There's no way I can push through those people to get to the stairs, and if they won't listen to Snow White and Prince Charming, there is no way they'll listen to me, a random girl they don't know and isn't even supposed to be here. I need something loud to overpower the orchestra of yelling. And I have something.

I try to push through the crowd, but everyone is too preoccupied with their questions to notice me. I take a moment to scan the hall, looking for a way to get to the platform that's not through the people. Windows. I quickly make my way to the outside and round, jumping over the bushes and up on to the sill. I try to pull them open, only to see that they're locked from the inside. Luckily, Snow isn't far.

"Snow!" I shout through the glass, banging on it as I do so without breaking anything.

Finally, she hears me and hurries over. I point to the latch and she indicates that I need to get down. I jump down, hear a click and a scrape and see Snow peer over the edge.

"How are you going to get back up?" She asks.

"The same way I did the first time, you might want to move out of the way." I answer.

I squat low, and with all of my strength, I jump up and grab onto the sill and pull myself up, swivelling my legs to the inside and hopping down.

"How did you...?" Snow asks.

"I'll explain another time, right now we need to wrangle these people before we end up deaf," I say.

"We're trying but they can't even hear us over themselves."

"Good thing I have an old trick of mine," I say.

I reach inside of my pocket, pulling out a conch shell. Snow frowns, but I just walk past her to stand next to Charming. Cupping one hand over the shell to amplify the sound as I press the point to my lips, I blow into it and its horn sounds, drowning out the people. The chatter comes to a stop, until finally there is only silence.

"I know that the majority of you have no idea who I am, apart from a handful of you," I begin as I spot the familiar faces of the Enchanted Forest in the crowd, "and I know all of you have questions that you need answers to right now, but there is a much bigger problem that we need to protect the entire town from. Rumplestiltskin or The Dark One or Mr Gold...has brought magic to Storybrooke..." I say, expectedly causing some murmurs in the crowd "...but that is only part of the issue."

I take a deep breath, hundreds of eyes wide and terrified staring up at me. "Who has heard of Neverland?" I say and more hands raise than I expect. "Of Peter Pan?" less hands this time, "I'm going to tell you about my experience there and how I ended up here. Years ago..." I say and go on to tell them about the storm and the time I spent on the island, "...and if Pan finds out that this town now has magic, it means he can come here, which means he has access to the children. He does not care. He will come here and he will take any child he wants, any child he finds suitable for his band of Lost Boys. The reason I ended up here is because he sent me on a quest to retrieve a map which shows each and every magical realm. Now that magic is back in the town, I need your help to get me back to Neverland, to keep this town safe," I finish.

"We'll do it. We'll help," Snow says, coming up to me and placing her hand on my shoulder.

"You got it, sister!" Grumpy shouts.

More agree and eventually, the whole town is on my side and on board with helping me. I'm going to save Storybrooke...and Henry.