Six - [Car Troubles.]

Start from the beginning

"Like you can't trust her as far as you can throw her?" Callie asked.

"Exactly," I answered as I picked up a menu and ended up ordering a ham and cheese omelet.

"So what brought you to Hudson?" Callie asked.

My first thought was to lie, but I didn't want to. The dream still fresh in my mind, I wanted to talk about it.

"It was kind of by accident, really," I said, shrugging. I took a drink of my coffee. "You see, my mother and her parents were never close. My grandma died a few years ago, and my grandpa more recently. My grandpa left me a lot of money, and my mother lost it. She kicked me out of the house before I even had a chance to think about taking the money. After couch surfing for a while, I didn't have much of a choice. I took the money, grabbed my stuff, and started driving."

I took another long drink of my coffee.

"And how did you pick Hudson?" Callie asked.

"I was at a gas stop, I believe. There was a map on the wall. I closed my eyes and pointed, and it was Hudson I landed on."

"I think you chose a great town," Callie said as she set my plate in front of me. "And if my opinion matters, I think it was your mama's loss, not yours. It wasn't your fault you were left all that money."

I smiled at her.

"Thank you."

I ate the omelet, and it had been delicious. I had half a mind to order another one to take home with me, but settled on a piece of chocolate peanut butter pie. I paid, and went back to the house.

In the past couple of days, the house and gotten a little messy and I had acquired some laundry that needed to be done.

It was only nine thirty in the morning when I'd gotten all of it done, so I decided to do some more exploring of Hudson, but the backroads. I grabbed the keys to the Jeep and headed out the door.

I started off slowly, learning some of the backroads that were closer to my house first. They were easy enough and pretty empty, so it made it easy to move through. After I got a good idea of what roads went where, I decided to go faster.

For a good hour or so, I tore up the back roads. By the time that I got done, the Jeep was splattered with dirt and mud and I was surprised that I hadn't gotten stuck.

I slipped out onto the main road and found myself a few miles from my house in the opposite direction of town. Just as I was about to turn a corner, it happened.

Suddenly, and with out any warning, my Jeep stuttered to a halt and died.

"Damn it!" I cussed, turning the key over. The engine didn't make a sound. I pumped the gas and tried to start it again, but it was dead silent.

I cussed under my breath again and pulled the bar that would open the hood. I unbuckled and got out. I couldn't see anything that was physically wrong with it. But then again, I didn't know cars well.

Turning my head, I looked up and down the road and didn't see anybody.

Shit.

I called Rose, the only person in this town I did know, but she didn't answer. I was about to look up if there were any nearby mechanics, but my phone died.

"Damn it!" I repeated.

I looked up and down the road again and was pleasantly surprised to see a car coming my way. It got bigger and bigger until it finally stopped in next to me, and I was able to see it's driver. It was Callie.

"Something wrong?" She asked, nodding to my Jeep.

"Yeah, the thing just died and I don't know what's wrong with it. And I don't really know anybody around here. Rose wouldn't answer her phone. Got any ideas?"

"I'll get my brother to come. He knows cars really well. Let me call him."

Callie pulled out her phone and dialed a number, and she spoke in a low voice.

"He'll be here in just a minute. I told him where you're at. Don't worry, my brother is a good guy. Will you be okay if I go? I gotta get back to work."

"Yeah, I'll be fine," I answered with a smile. "Thanks so much for helping me."

"You're welcome, that's what we do around here."

She took a pen and a slip of paper out of her apron pocket, which is what she was still wearing. She scribbled something down on it and handed it to me.

"Shoot me a text sometime. Let's hang out."

"Sure! Thanks again."

I waved at her as she drove off, and leaned against the Jeep as I waited for my savior, whomever it was, to come. Not as soon as I had said that, did a red truck come driving down the road from the same direction in which Callie had just left in. The truck pulled up across the road from me I saw who it was. Brantley.

"Callie is your sister?" I asked, my eyebrows raised.

Brantley looked down the road the way his sister and just left. He shrugged.

"As much as we fuss at each other, we've got to be. That, and we both got our father's hair."

Brantley nodded at the Jeep.

"Having trouble?"

I felt resentful for a moment, irritated that he had to come "rescue" me again, but I really didn't have much of a choice. He didn't seem to be acting like an ass yet...So there was no reason to be hostile.

"Yeah, it just died on me. Won't start. It won't even turn over. I did just go mudding, though. Do you think that could have done something?"

Brantley moved around me, taking a look at the engine.

"Did you hit anything? Or make any jumps?"

"Nope," I answered, shaking my head.

Brantley peered around the engine for another moment or two.

"Try to start it, please?" He requested.

I got into the drivers seat and did as he asked, but the engine didn't move. After he tinkered with a few things, he asked me a question. I cringed, not having thought of that.

"Four hundred thousand," I answered sheepishly.

"Jesus, girl, this thing should have died a long time ago."

Brantley straightened up, shutting the hood.

"Sorry to tell you, but your car is dead and buried. Reached the end of it's life."

I tilted my head back, groaning.

"What am I going to do?" I asked, shaking my head.

"Tell ya' what, sweetheart. My buddy's got a used car dealership in the next town over. How about I take you there, and I'll help you pick one out? He'll give you a good deal."

I eyed Brantley warily, unsure why he was being so nice to me. He sensed my hesitation.

"I think we started off on the wrong foot, Kennedy. I don't bite. Let's go. As friends," He said, nodding towards his truck.

I stood there, staring at him, unsure how to answer at first. But he was right. We had started off on the wrong foot, and if he wasn't being rude, why not go with him? We could go.

As friends.

Author's Note: Oooh! Things are getting a little better between Brantley and Kennedy. What do you think of Callie? What do you think is going to be happening on this trip, if anything? I'm glad things are a little more agreeable between Brantley and Kennedy...For now.

Also, I have another story. It's a historical fiction, called "The Forgotten Princess." Let me know what you think, please!