Chapter 11

I watch as Jeff and Jack take their places and I slowly open the door, making sure no noises are made as Masky and I sneak in. We close the door and run as quietly as possible. I can hear Jack and Jeff yelling at each other about Jeff stabbing Jack's kidneys while he slept. I find the closet quickly and pull it open, leaving a crack when we close it so we can check for Dad on our way out. I run my hands on the back of the closet, it's pitch black in here. I slowly rap my hand around the handle and turn it, "I found it." I say quietly to Masky and he follows closely behind. I look around the room and find the book easily. I reach for it when I hear one knock, the signal for Dad is coming. Masky and I look at each other with wide eyes and worried expressions. I quickly grab the book and we close the door behind us. But I stop at the closet door and Masky knows why, Dad is in his room. I look around the room for some way to distract him. My eyes land on on the glass of water next to his bed, "Where do you keep the towels?" I say so quietly that it was almost just the wind. Masky gives me a look that tells me that it's far enough to let us run for it. I stop and wait for the best moment. I take a deep breath and close my eyes. My heart is beating fast. My mind is racing. I feel Masky's heat. He is so close, I feel his fast breathing on the back of my neck. I open my eyes and watch my dad. Ben and Hoodie can't knock on the wall now, all they can do is wait. I watch as he puts down the book he was reading on his bed and begins to walk towards us. I panic and wave my hand at the water making it tip over and spill all over every book but then the glass falls and shatters all over the wood floors. I hear him say something I can't understand and he picks up the glass and throws it away then goes out the door to get a towel. I push the closet door open then run out of his bedroom running as fast as I could. I ran into my bedroom and jumped on my bed shoving the book under my pillow. I waited for Masky and he didn't come into the room. I panicked.

What if my dad caught him? What if he tripped and didn't make it out? as these thoughts run through my head Masky slowly runs in. "You know you're a fast runner?"

"I've been told."

"No, like, REALLY fast. You were gone the minute he opened the door. I couldn't even see you run." I laugh and sit on my bed as I wait for my mom to leave the surprise she wrote in her note. Masky and I wait for hours and eventually we drift off into sleep.

I wake up in bed. And I slowly realize Masky's arms were wrapped around my waist as he slept. I lay there and close my eyes again. His head on my sholder and I listen to his heartbeat and feel his breath tickle my ear. My heart beats faster than it did when we took the book. I feel for the book under my pillow and look at my bedside table. There is a note and a key. The note reads,

Hey Babe! I'm back just like I promised. Here's the key to the door in your closet. Hide the book in there and put this key on a necklace and keep it on you at all times. Once you lock the book in there you can read it any time and it will be labeled as yours forever. No one else can take it if you lock that door. Happy reading. Oh and I really like your chose in boys. That boy is adorible! I came in while you were sleeping and it was so cute to see you to cuddling :) just don't go to fast ;)

Love your mother, Elizabeth

I blush and grab my key. I flod the paper up and put it in my drawer. I'm starting to collect her notes. How do I wake Masky up without it being awkward? There is no way. "Masky, you gotta get up." He moves his head a bit and rubs his eyes. He opens his eyes and yawns," What's up?" I look at him,"Um..."

"what?"

"You're holding on to me."

"oh uh...."

"yeah..."

He smiled," I know you liked it."

I blushed," What? No!"

He laughed," You so liked it! You're blushing so much right now!"

"No I'm not!"

"Sure, whatever." He rolls his eyes. I get up off my bed and open my closet. I crawl to the very back and find the door. I take the keyand unlock the door. What was on the other side shocked me.