Chapter 1 (edited)

(Miranda Kerr above as Arienne)

Fall was in the air.  It was starting to get chilly and the leaves in Central Park were preparing for their descent towards the hardened earth floor.  

Arienne stepped out onto the balcony of her high rise apartment.  She lived for this kind of weather.  Being born and raised in Texas you didn't always get the opportunity to see the true changing of seasons.  Having lived in other parts of the country had given her other views of seasons and she definitely loved the Fall/Winter time of year. She had applied herself in high school and college and had worked since she was 15 to save her money ; so when the opportunity presented itself for the move to New York she jumped at it and the fact that she had saved so much money while working all those years sure didn't hurt.  She was able to put down enough for a 2 year lease on her apartment.  

She was fluent in 4 languages which helped living in New York because the city was so diversified;  Italian, French and Spanish and she made each of them sound amazing.  She also was very good at free-hand drawing, sketches mostly, charcoals.   

Sighing, she took a sip of her coffee and turned around to go back in, get dressed, grab her camera and see what uncomplicated views of the human race she would get today.

She was looking at herself in the bathroom mirror.  She stood 5'1" and was curvaceous.  She had brownish hair with a tent of auburn that hung down to her waist, brown eyes, a cute button nose and full, natural pink lips.   

She didn't need a lot of make up.  She wore a little blush, light pink lip gloss and mascara.  She had chosen a cream colored hand knitted cap (from her Gram), a long sleeved turtle neck, the same cream color, a faux rabbit fur vest, dark skinny jeans tucked into her dark brown boots. 

She walked out of her bathroom into her bedroom and grabbed her camera off the bed and headed out.

She stopped at the front door and as if suddenly remembering something, turned right into a smaller room off the living area.  It was her "work" room.  The walls were a deep rich chocolate brown and she had a matching desk, credenza ( a lighter shade of caramel) and a small cloth covered tan sofa and last but not least a medium sized drafter's table.  She used this for when she developed her pictures.  

The fact that it tilted allowed her to place the photos to get the angles she wanted when viewing them.  She went to the small refrigerator and grabbed a couple of rolls of film and placed them in her bag.  Developing pictures the old fashioned way was becoming a lost art.  She enjoyed the solitude and darkness that a dark room provided.  Mixing the chemicals and literally watching the photos come to life. 

She opened her apartment door, locked the deadbolt and strode down the hall to the elevator.  Just as she was nearing the elevator a neighboring door opened.  

"Good morning Mrs. Valenti!" Arienne said.  The elderly woman opened her door more seeing that it was Arienne.  

"Oh good morning dear!  Going to shoot some more pictures?" Mrs. Valenti asked.  Arienne nodded and gave a little wave of her hand and proceeded to the elevator, pushed the G button and waited for it to open up. 

She was humming "New York, New York" by Frank Sinatra, something else she dearly loved to do in her spare time...listen to the old greats.  Sinatra, Dean Martin, you get the picture.  Anyone that knew Ari thought of her as an old soul that you could sometimes see all the way back in time through her eyes. 

Maybe it's because of the stunning photographs she took; the essence of people, places and things that she captured through her magic lens.  She finally reached the bottom and waited for the door to ding and then open.  She grinned, something about today, she couldn't put a finger on it but she felt an excitement in the air.  

"Hiya Harry!" she greeted her door man.  Harry Jenkins smiled, tipped his hat and held the door open for Ari.  

"Buongiorno signora!" (Good morning miss!) Harry responded.  Ari smiled brightly at the older man.  

"Molto bene! Hai praticato !" (Very good!  You have been practicing!) she said.  The man laughed a hearty laugh.  

"Oh I'm not as grand as you are Ms. Ari!  Going to take more pictures?" he asked.  She nodded and told him to have a great day and made her way out of her building and onto the streets of Manhattan.