steve rogers ≫ neighbour

"Ma'am." Steve Rogers bowed his head politely as he passed you in the hallway of your apartment building.

"Steve," you grinned, "lovely to see you again. You were away for a while, is everything alright?"

He frowned for a moment, fiddling with the keys in his hands, "Oh, yeah. Everything is fine. I had to..." He hesitated for a moment, as if trying to find the right words. "I had to go away on business in Washington. Yeah, business."

"Oh, well I hope everything's alright. I need to rush off, a load of shopping to go buy. See you!" With that, you rushed off down the stairs and into the busy streets of New York.

Of course, Steve thought you were just going shopping but you weren't. Director Fury had assigned you to keep an eye on Steve ever since he had become suspicious that something was going on in S.H.I.E.L.D.

For the past 2 months you had been stuck in that apartment, missing all the action back at the base. You missed seeing all of your friends but you knew being at S.H.I.E.L.D. would increase the risk of Steve finding out about you.

-

Later that night, you returned to the apartment building, a takeaway bag in hand.

You fumbled around in your pocket, looking for your keys. Your head shot up at the sound of a shout of pain coming for Steve's apartment.

You dropped your dinner, work becoming your priority. You whipped out the pistol that had been strapped in a holster.

You creeped towards the door, making sure that whatever intruder was in there couldn't hear you.

You pushed the door open, peeking around it to see if you could see anything. There was nothing suspicious so far.

As you moved farther into the apartment,
you couldn't hear a sign of any struggle or a fight. Was Steve dead?

As this thought surfaced in your mind, you rushed into the room, fearing for the worst. You were shocked to see Steve standing there, wrapping a bandage around a cut on his hand.

His head whipped up, his eyes widening at the sight of your gun. "(Y/N)?"

You shoved the gun into your holster, struggling to think of something to say.

"Why the hell do you have a gun?"

"Uh- protection?" You answered hesitantly.

"Fury assigned you to watch me, didn't he?" Steve frowned, walking over to you.

"Uh..." You weren't sure what to say, Fury would be mad if Steve found out but you couldn't have Steve thinking you were trying to kill him. "Yeah. I'm sorry, Steve."

"It's okay, (Y/N). Don't apologise, you're only doing what your told. It's Fury I'm mad at." Steve paused for a moment, "Does this mean I won't get to see you anymore? I mean your missions pretty much over now that I know."

You grinned, seeing how Steve cared that you'd be leaving. "You'll see me around the S.H.I.E.L.D. base, Rogers."

"Good, because I was so close to asking you out." Your eyes widened, shocked at Steve's words. "So, would you like to uh, go on a date?"

"Of course!" You smiled, wrapping Steve in a hug.
__________________
This is a quick and short one that I just wrote. I just came home from school sick so I thought I'd write something whilst I was bored. I'll update later as well, hopefully. Enjoy!