Chapter Three: Strangers Dangers

Start from the beginning

To: Star Matthews <star.matthews@prescott.edu>

From: W. W. <thewildeone@gmail.com>

Subject: Re: Room Ad

Has anyone told you you are way too cynical? If no one has, count me as the first. I have a free room and a house that's been too quiet since my roommate and best friend left. I can't stand it. Besides, it's only for a few months. If generosity doesn't sit well with you, feel free to clean the house or do something you think counts as repayment.

To: W. W. <thewildeone@gmail.com>

From: Star Matthews <star.matthews@prescott.edu>

Subject: Re: Room Ad

I am cynical and I like it that way.

To: Star Matthews <star.matthews@prescott.edu>

From: W. W. <thewildeone@gmail.com>

Subject: Re: Room Ad

Aren't stars supposed to represent hope and childlike wonder?

To: W. W. <thewildeone@gmail.com>

From: Star Matthews <star.matthews@prescott.edu>

Subject: Re: Room Ad

They do to those who can afford to dream a little. I can't. It's just a name.

To: Star Matthews <star.matthews@prescott.edu>

From: W. W. <thewildeone@gmail.com>

Subject: Re: Room Ad

I have a very strong suspicion there's more to you than you'd like anyone to even ponder on. You're probably shutting me down right this second because you think I'm too close to the truth.

I smiled at that, oddly pleased to have him guess what I was thinking. It didn't happen often but I debated whether this was a good thing or not. I didn't like people who pried. People who pried cared, regardless of their reasons, and when they cared, they did things—things they shouldn't bother with. But sometimes, there was some comfort in talking with strangers. 

To: W. W. <thewildeone@gmail.com>

From: Star Matthews <star.matthews@prescott.edu>

Subject: Re: Room Ad

All I want is a room for three months. I don't need someone to give me a map to find myself, etc. If you're good with that, we can settle on a price and terms and conditions. If you're not, I'd be happy to let you off to figure someone else out.

I wasn't exactly being a bitch but I wasn't being superbly nice either. It happened whenever people tried to get to know me better. I didn't want to give them further incentive to want to be my friend. Friendships were complicated and not always equally shared. Mutualistic symbiosis made more sense to me. It was easier when you both wanted something from each other and would be willing to contribute equally to the endeavor. Not the most romantic, I know, but that might be the problem of our race.

Anyway, I was almost sure I would never hear from this person again when my email made a soft ping sound and brought up the new message.

To: Star Matthews <star.matthews@prescott.edu>