“Stop your sniveling, lovely." His voice cooed unobtrusively. "There’s nothing you can do about it now. We'll change trains as soon as this one stops, and go back in the other direction. And don't even think about trying to escape. My trigger finger is quicker than your legs or brain." 

Her as of yet unnamed captor was right. He could shoot her before she got away. But, he was wrong about her brains. True, most women didn’t go to school past a young age, but she read anything she could find in her spare time, so she was not a stupid person by a long shot. She wondered when Buddy would get her letter. She suddenly wished Ryne would let Buddy know what had happened, if Ryne had figured it out already. He probably had. He was rather smart himself.

Sally had to come up with a plan. And she suddenly realized she was worrying her hands. Placing them on her lap, she let a loud sigh out and sat back.

“I’m glad you’re seeing things my way. It won’t be long and we’ll be headed in the right direction. Don’t fear. I’ll take good care of you.” She listened, planning and plotting in her mind. She’d let him think he had the advantage, for now. But, as soon as she could, she’d find a way to best him and get back to Erie, back to Buddy. She had to get back to Buddy.

*****

Ryne walked into the Horny Toad saloon, and looked about.

“Whatcha want, Wilkinson?” Fred called from behind the bar. “I know it ain’t a girl.”

Ryne walked towards the bartender. “You got that right. Actually, I was hoping you could help me find someone who goes by the name Livingstone?”

Fred cocked his head at a man seated in fine apparel, smoking a cigar, playing poker, and entertaining a beautiful, but brazen, woman.

“If anyone can tell you, it would be Michael Fritz.” He directed Ryne to the man with the point of his finger. “Though, he has company from out of town right now, so he may or may not be willing to speak with you about it.”

“Thanks, Fred.” Ryne turned to face Michael Fritz. He was a tower of a man, probably over six feet tall, blond hair, blue eyes, and shoulders the size of the Rocky Mountains.

“What can I do for you?” Fritz asked while looking at his cards.

“I need to find out if you know anything about a gentleman named Livingstone. I believe it a matter of extreme importance and the safety of a young woman is at stake.” Ryne looked at the man’s visage. He was certainly a person of prominence. His clothing was made of finer material, his pocket watch of gold, his top hat was silken, and his boots, though leather, were not worn like a man who worked out doors. His hands had no callouses, and his face was not tanned, but fair.

“I’m so sorry. I wish I could help you, but, alas, I cannot. I’ve never heard of anyone by that name. Sorry to let you down, sir. Good luck. If I hear of anything, I can let you know, Mr?”

“My apologies.” He acquiesced, shoving his hand out to shake the questionable man. “Ryne Wilkinson. And, Fred there can get a message to me or point you toward my place. I’d appreciate any and all information. A woman is missing and I believe him to know her whereabouts.”

“I will do my best, Mr. Wilkinson.”

With that, Ryne left.

 *****

“Sally. Sally. Wake up, honey. Sally? Are you okay?” Sally rolled her head slightly without opening her eyes. “Sally. Come on. It’s time to get up.” She didn’t move. Not for a long second. Finally, she opened them, but the bright light from the window made her close them again.