Chapter 2 - How They Met

Harry and I, we go way back. Well, Boot Camp was about a year ago, but that’s long enough I guess.

It was Day 1 when we first met. I remember being dragged down the endless corridors by Maria, someone who I’d met only minutes before. She was the assistant to the Girls on the show, and being the only other girl in the same job area, she insisted on staying with me. To this day I still wonder if she and Caroline are related, they're so alike.

Maria and I were completely lost, so she was taking me by the hand through corridors, down stairs, up lifts and around more corridors. All the way she was telling me, “It’s this way! I know it is!” and she was never right. Though I thank her for that.

We accidentally found ourselves in a large room full of contestants in the Boys category. The boys were sat together in groups talking and sharing stories, so thank goodness few of them looked up when we barged through the door.

“Lost?” one of the boys asked. A quick look over him and a badge nearly identical to mine and Maria’s swinging from his neck told me that he was the assistant to the Boys, and that his name is Jack.

“Just a little,” I replied, trying my best to look normal and not out of breath and panicking.

“Girls and Groups, right?” he asked knowingly, flashing us a cheeky grin that I was too tired to care about. He continued, dropping a pen onto his clipboard, “Well, I saw a bunch of very fine young girls going that way and left,” he said to Maria, nodding at the door we just came through, “And I believe the groups are through that door, down the corridor, to the right,” he added to me, pointing across the room.

“Thanks,” I smiled, quickly hurrying to the door.

“And don’t go distracting my boys!” Jack yelled as I left him.

I ignored his comment, and the people turning to gawp at me now. For the attention I partly blame Jack and partly blame my stupid clunky boots. I don’t even know why I wore them that day! They’re old and worn, they stain my socks purple and I always end up falling somehow when I wear them…

Though I guess it was a good thing I wore them that day.

Once I reached the door I was in such a hurry I wasn’t even looking in the right direction, my head was facing back towards Jack and his boys and I was walking sideways. Being so stupid, I hadn’t realised that the door was already being propped open on the other side and I ended up tripping over the floor – THE FLOOR – and I toppled backwards, landing…

…in someone’s arms.

I wrenched my eyes open and saw above me, my saviour, who had recused me from further embarrassment. Through the look of worry plastered across his face, I could see amusement just waiting to push it’s way to the surface.

“Whoa! Careful! Are you OK?” he asked, laughing a little.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” I said, pulling myself to a standing position and glancing at my knees.

“Sure?” he said, and I nodded, not looking back into those startling eyes of his. “So are you one of the assistants here?” I was fiddling with my badge and I guess he must’ve noticed some of the wording.

“Assistant to the Groups,” I recited to him.

“Oh, right,” he said, clearly not interested, “Well I guess I’ll see you on the show…if I get through that is.”

“When you get through, you mean!” I told him. I instantly regretted it when I saw the confusion on his face.

“How do you know I’m any good?”

“Er… Simon wanted us to watch all of the people who got through. He said it was so we could see the talent and know our competition,” I gave a shaky laugh, hoping he wouldn’t mind me describing him as the competition.

“Right,” he said a little cheerier, “Thanks, then!”

“No, thank you! You caught me just now! So thanks for that, um…?”

“Harry. My name’s Harry,” he grinned at me, holding out his hand.

I shook it and replied, “I’m Cassie. See you, then, Harry,” I added awkwardly, walking down the corridor knowing I was already very late.

“Bye, Cassie,” he called as he closed the door on himself.

It wasn’t until the final day of Boot Camp that I saw him properly again.

This was the worst day for me so far. I mean it was bad enough when most of the acts got sent home days ago, but the final day was the biggest moment for every single contestant in their careers so far! Scary.

Maria, Jack, Karl (assistant to the Over’s) and I sat in the stands to watch the acts all day. There wasn’t much left for us to do but wait.

When it came to the end, when we were finally going to find out who was through, the four of us moved down a few seats so we could hear better.

First up were the Over 28’s, and Karl had his notepad and pen at the ready to jot down some notes on his acts. I could see he’d nearly filled every page with scribbles just over the past few days!

After them came Maria’s Girls. Maria had her fingers crossed, praying that her favourites would get through. Each time that they did, she would let out a small yelp or squeak, and one of the staff in the seats quite below us would glare her for it.

My groups hopped onto stage next. I recognised each face and remembered who got through and who didn't, mentally noting each person who'd be coming to Judges Houses with me and their mentor.

The last category up was the Boys. As they walked out onto the stage I tried to spot my friend Harry and his curly brown hair amongst the other lads. Instead I recognised some of the boys who had sniggered when they saw me fall back on the first day. No Harry in sight.

All goes silent and at the very last second, I spy Harry, his hair cleverly concealed beneath a grey hat.

I listened intently for his name to be called, yet the first wasn't his. Nor was the next. Or the next. Eventually it came down to the final person through. I saw Jack counting on his fingers and when he too realised this, he looked shocked and confused.

But when the final name was announced, it wasn't Harry's. I was devastated...how could he not have gotten through? He's an amazing singer, I thought he really had a chance! I felt so badly about what I said to him, correcting his 'if' for a 'when', yet apparently it's a 'never'.

I was upset, shaking my head as I carelessly trudged down the stairs behind Maria and Jack and Karl, before I was unexpectedly stopped by Simon Cowell.

"Cass, go sit back down for a moment," he had said, "We have another announcement which concerns you."

A few minutes’ later nine people walked back onto the stage; four girls and five boys. All looked as if they'd been crying. With pity I looked over their sad faces and let out a gasp.

Harry's one of the five boys!

In my head I prayed that Simon would deliver good news...

"We have decided to create two new groups!" he had said, causing tears to fall once more from the eyes of the nine people - but this time tears of joy.

This means I get to work with Harry!

I saw him later when he was huddled together with his new band mates in the Groups room. He saw me and ran over, screaming, "I GOT THROUGH! WE GOT THROUGH!" and hugging me.

The other four boys looked confused.

"This is Cassie," Harry told them, "She's going to be our assistant."

"Brilliant!" one of the boys called.

"So," another one said, gliding up to me, "Who's our mentor? You must know!"

Then all of the boys cornered me, demanding to know something even I was clueless to!

Then again, back then I wasn't sure if my job could get much better.