Outside The Fence

The train was late today, and it was always early. I let my icy black hair drift into nothing-ness behind me, as large snowflakes gracefully waltz in the dark skies hovering above me. My left shoulder scrapes along the electrified 'prison' fence that cuts me off from the inside, advanced, and 'accepting' world. Finally the tingling pain of electricity surging through my body knocks some sense into my fatigued brain. I detach my ripped shoulder from the rusted fence and slip my thin scabbed hands into the rear pocket of my dated and now 'Out Of Trend Jeans', to reveal a water damaged photograph. The faces of the beings in the photo have long since been scratched by the chewed fingernails belonging to myself. I don't need to see the faces of the victims of "My dangerous secret that will harm and kill many living beings in our region!" I remember the words of Lieutenant Vincent Leblanc; I scoff and collapse hitting the hard ground. I can't help it now the tears have started to roll down my dry face as I remember my mother's kind face. I curse and try to wipe my eyes with the backs of my hands; I fail and let the tears roll as they please. The tears mostly came from the fact I will never see my mother again, but also because the people whose faces had been scratched away belonged to my once believed to be 'friends'. They were the ones who couldn't take the pressure and hinted to Lieutenant Leblanc where I was hiding my secret. Lieutenant thanked my 'friends' greatly then shipped me off to fight in the First World War. This man used me,told me my secret would be safe if I fought in his army. Trying to save my own skin I believed him and you can probably guess what trap that foolish decision led me into, he lied to me. Now, I AM OUTSIDE THE FENCE!

The blue train sails past me as I regain my composure and fling my left hand sideward, in doing so I create a mound of clear ice. I groan as my shoe covered feet draw blood to create a new scar on my dishevelled body because of the many holes interfering in the shoes structure.I grab a dry leaf off a dying tree and dab the wounds carefully, as an evil plan formulates in my out of tune mind. I turn on my heels changing my direction from North to South and mimicking an evil mastermind straitening my wrists a clashing my fingers together as I dig my head into the crook of my neck and laugh ghoulishly.

I walk along the rusted fence for hours until I reach a gap that my undernourished body can fit through. Once inside the fence I thrust my head downwards toward the ground and shoot my eyes down to my scuffed dirt coated shoes. Revising my plan I stroll up discretely towards the modern row of storage lockers and knock on storage locker 2030, I knock to the tune " shave and a haircut two bits." A scraggly looking man with piercing black eyes opens the heavy door. "What can I help you with?" he says with a deep voice. " I need a false ID by midnight tomorrow." I say being careful to keep my voice low. He tilts his examine me and is the first to break the silence "Are you Britt Backstrom the girl with Iceidus or whatever your weird disease is?" I glare at him and turn away to exit the compact lot but a cold bony finger stops me. I whirl around to lock eyes with the man from the storage locker' " Look I'm sorry about what I said I wasn't thinking. I'll make you the ID for a price!' His lips curl into an evil grin as my stiff jaw flies open gaping widely.

How could he make me pay? I have nothing, my clothes are remnants of what clothes should look like. He once again breaks the cold silence, as a snowflake takes refuge in his messy hair, " You gonna take the offer of not." He states angrily . I bring my eyes from my shoes to his piercing black orbs " No!" I say defiantly, and with that I turn around and continue my journey toward the heart of the city.

How will this work? I think nervously to myself as the narrow streets become congested with unwanted tourists. Tourism was great for the cities economy but what about the citizens. I stop in my tracks as I see an old fashioned army jeep driving down the cobblestone road, the driver is the man who haunts my dreams, the man is the person who pains me so desperately I want to throw up. His name, Lieutenant Vincent Leblanc!

A million thoughts whirl around my brain as I hurriedly dart into a concealed alleyway to avoid meeting the villains eyes, my breathing quickens as I see his gaze avert to where I am currently poised. Snowflakes cloud my vision as I run to the end of the alley. In three swift movements I grab hold of a rusted ladder attached a massive warehouse. Boots crunch in the crusty blankets of snow behind me, my gold eyes dart downwards only to be met by a pair of hollow eyes. "Well well well if it isn't my dear friend Brit Backstrom!" He delivers cooly yet there is a hint of mockery dripping through his tone. He reaches into his back pocket and returns with a piece of gold parchment with the official seal of the United States of America. He unfolds the paper carefully, humming to the tune of " Lions and Tigers and Bears",taken from my favourite movie The Wizard Of Oz. He extends a plump hand as do I, my raging eyes absorb the contents of the paper, comprehend key words. Memories come coursing through me like a flood and a stabbing pain echoes through my heart.

*FLASHBACK*

"BRIT ANIKA BACKSTROM!" MY FATHERS STENTORIAN VOICE ECHOS THROUGH OUR SINGLE STORY HOME,AND SEEPS THROUGH MY BEDROOM WALLS.I ROLL OUT OF BED AND GROAN AS I COLLIDE WITH MY CARPETED FLOOR, BUT SOON THE STABBING PAIN RACKING THROUGH MY BODY TURNS TO JOYFUL LAUGHTER AS MY CAT TIGGER RELENTLESSLY RUBS ALONG MY CHEEK. MY 'I STAYED UP TO LATE LAST NIGHT' EYES SCAN AROUND MY BED MAKING EYE CONTACT WITH THE PINK ALARM CLOCK SITUATED ON MY LEFT HAND NIGHT SIDE TABLE, THE CLOCK FACE READS 8:05 I JUMP UP 10 FEET IN THE AIR.

I GALLOP DOWN THE HARDWOOD STEPS LIKE A LIGHTING BOLT AND ON THE FINAL STEP I NINJA LEAP OFF, LANDING RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY FAINT LOOKING MOTHER. I TILT MY HEAD AS TO SAY WHAT'S WRONG? SHE SHAKES ME OFF AND STATES, " YOU'RE LATE. I HAVE TO DRIVE YOU BEFORE MY MEETING. GRAB AND APPLE, YOUR FATHER WANTS TO TALK TO YOU HE'S IN HIS STUDY."

I NOD FIGURING ITS JUST A ROUTINE ' HOW DARE YOU BE SO TARDY', BUT WHEN I ENTER THE LARGE STUDY I SEE THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE. MY FATHER SEES ME AND MOTIONS FOR ME TO POSITION MYSELF ON HIS LAP, I DO WHAT MY BRAIN HAS INFERRED.

THE NEXT FEW WORDS HE SAYS TEAR THROUGH ME AND I FALL TO THE FLOOR SOBBING THROUGH REPEATED WORDS.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

The villain’s voice pulls me from my dreams and back to reality. The Lieutenant is holding a different piece of paper; it looks like it once belonged in a dictionary. He begins to read the word inscribed on the paper, “Iceidus; A disease believed to be a myth taken from Greece, allows the diseased being to communicate with artic animals, summon winter winds and shoot ice pellets from his/her hands and ……..” LeBlanc stops reading and stares at me for a second, his lips curl into and evil grin, my brain is to slow to understand what is happening before everything goes black.

I wake up curled in a small ball Outside the Fence. I failed to return home this time, but this not the end of my story!

THE END!