Medicine 100 Years Ago

Start from the beginning

12.

The oily skin of brunettes can be improved by rinsing the face in tincture of benzoin, which tends to close the large pores and whiten the skin.

13.

Consumption (TB :ed) may be treated by driving into the system - by means of static electricity. A sponge electrode, saturated with formaldehyde being applied externally over the location of the diseased tissue.

14.

The oil treatment, in connection with the use of a compress, will in almost every case result in a cure of appendicitis if applied in time.

15.

Incising the gums over the erupting tooth of an infant will guarantee great relief.

16.

Tonic cordial: Take a gallon jug, fill it half full with wild cherries, and then fill it up with Jamaican rum. Let it stand for a month or more. Take two tablespoons twice a day. Discontinue as early as possible so that there may be no development of an undue appetite for spirituous liquors.

17.

Hysteria generally occurs in females between the ages of 12 and 45.

18.

A competent physician should expect a fee of five shillings for his services, inclusive of pharmaceuticals.

19.

The modern sciagraph (x-ray : ed) is more a sideshow trick than a useful tool of medicine.

20.

Married couples should adopt more generally the rule of sleeping in separate rooms. In this way troublesome temptations are escaped and a rational temperance would be practised without inconvenience.

21.

Mumps is a specific morbid miasma, generated during peculiar conditions of the atmosphere.

22.

Infertility may be considered to be caused by failure of intercourse, the improper use of aphrodisiacs, masturbation and sexual excesses.

23.

Self-pollution (masturbation : ed) will cause epilepsy, softening of the brain, insanity and moral imbecility. The victim must be put in a straight-jacket with his hands tied behind to prevent the inevitable consequences of speedy insanity and death.

24.

A tea brewed from blue cohosh guarantees painless birth. It acts most satisfactorily, making the pains regular and effective, and making the doctor's attendance for less than six hours the rule.

25.

MANAGEMENT OF APPARENT DEATH BY LIGHTENING STRIKE>

A bucket of cold water poured upon the head revives some, but if this fails a battery should be procured and a current of electricity should be passed from the base of the head down the spine to the extremities of the limbs.

26.

Repeated apoplexy may be managed by the rectal injection of half a pint of soapsuds with half a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of cayenne pepper.

27.

For pregnancy to result in a male child -

"The husband is to take substantial food, pass his time pleasantly in the gay society of men, read amusing books, take moderate exercise, and generally increase his sexual desire without cohabiting. The wife should live sparingly, fatigue herself daily, take medications to reduce sexual passions, and pass her time in the dry society of old women".