Chapter 15. A Wolves Rank

Start from the beginning

"Are ATV's the normal mode of transport in packs?" I bit my lip and strapped in. Then my eyes widened as the werewolves started undressing and changing, falling on all fours. Marte turned to me as Kate started up the vehicle.

"Human mates can't change, obviously, but if they wanted to they could keep up with the pack easily. But the younger wolves don't go through their first change until their fifteen and until then, they're practically like you."

"Human?" 

"Yes. If you didn't already know what they are, you never would. It's our defense mechanism against the world. Our young can never give us away and things they say are attributed to fantasy and imagination. A perfectly sane person would never believe them."

Her last comment makes me snicker silently. Does that make me insane?

"Are... you a human too Marte?"

She smiled at me. "No, I'm a wolf but we aren't omnipotent Max. My arthritis gets too bad if I run for too long." 

"Oh." I feel sheepish. Of course. Right. Thankfully Daven acts as a good enough distraction as we leave the pack community. Then I'm distracted by the moving scenery. The woods are gorgeous and occasionally a wolf runs by. They're much faster than us. I even thought I saw my black wolf once.

Two hours later we pull up into a sort of natural amphitheatre. Two sides are flanked by a twelve foot rock wall while the other sides slope downwards in a gradual hill. The middle is the size of the gymnasium at school. The pack find places on the hill or on top of the rock wall to watch the fight. It's an impressive sight.

After we park, we head over to the hill and find a place to watch while Marte went and joined the Elders at a place of honor in the front. People quickly shuffled out of the way when they recognized their Luna, some raising their eyebrows and flaring their nostrils when they caught sight of me.

We found a place in the middle somewhere and settled down on the forest mulch. Kate handed leopard snuggies to Daven and I and I gave her a questioning look.

"Snuggies? Really?"

She laughed. "It's February. Cover up and be grateful."

I looked around. Others had blankets, jackets and, yes, snuggies as well. I shrugged and put it on, burrowing gratefully into the warmth.

Then the waiting began. I couldn't seem to stop my knee from jerking nervously, causing Kate to giggle at me and rub soothing circles on my back. Daven curled up into my side for the added warmth.

Finally the Alpha stood up and immediately captured everyone's attention.

"Welcome to the Hamr'rok Rank Challenges." He began, "There are thirty two contestants." He gestured to the thirty one men and one woman lining the rock wall, "That will be competing for the Beta and Gamma positions. The Elders," Here he nodded respectfully to seven wolves at the front, including Gunnar's parents, "Will judge whether a wolf is fit enough to continue or not. The last two standing are guaranteed a place in my council as Beta and Gamma. When we get to this point the first to submit loses. Winner gets Beta, loser gets Gamma. Elder Markus, if you will proceed." He nodded respectfully to an old wolf at the front.

He stood up and faced the contestants. "If you are called out, you are out, no arguments. There will be no killing under penalty of death. Please change and take your places." 

The entrants gathered in the middle in a sort of wonky circle and changed into their demi-forms, claws flashing. I gulped and tried to imagine those babies sinking into your flesh. Then at some signal clearly invisible to me, it happened.