Chapter 1 - Back At School

Chapter 1 - Back at School

Jacqueline's POV

It was a normal, usual Monday morning. The school halls were filled with students who were chatting, hugging, and jumping up and down with excitement. Everyone was reunited once again after the long school holidays. It was great to be back at school to see friends, but school was going to suck, just like exactly this time last year.

That's right, I still can't get over what happened only a year ago when my own beliefs and thoughts took over my life. When I was the Black Widow. I still feel uncomfortable remembering back when I was a total maniac. I wasn't a good person, but thanks to Peter Parker, he made me realise who I really was.

Speaking of Peter, I hadn't seen him all morning. I saw Gwen a few times and I did catch up with her during the holidays too, but it was only for quick chats and catch ups. Same with Peter, but the fact that he wasn't at school, was weird. He would usually tell me if he had to be somewhere, but I shook off the thought, and continued to my locker.

Nothing had changed about Midtown Science. The people were the same. Unfortunately, Natalie and Harrison were still the same. I still can't look at Natalie the same after what I did to her. But then again, I taught her a big lesson, and now she leaves me alone.

I went to my locker and grabbed the textbooks I needed for my first class, which was Media. The same thought kept repeating in my mind. Graduation wasn't far away. Soon, I will be out of school and I'll be on my way towards my dream, of being a Photographer.

I closed my locker and glanced at Peter's locker, before making my way down the dull, crowded hallway, just like I did only a few weeks ago. I knew how to get around this school more easily, so being late to class was not going to be a problem anymore!

I walked into my Media class. There weren't many students in the classroom at the moment, but I did see Taylor and Tina quietly chatting to each other in their seats, in the far corner of the classroom. I smiled and waved to them, and they smiled back, before I turned around and took my seat. I wasn't used to having an empty seat next to me, which was supposed to be Peter's seat. Even though Peter is a hero, it was still weird that he wasn't here and that he didn't contact me.

The bell shortly rang and the teacher walked in, smiling at the students sitting in front of her. The rest of the class smiled back, and waited patiently for her to get her things ready and mark the attendance roll.

"Jennifer." she called first.

"Here." she replied.

"Alex."

"Here." he replied.

I took my focus off of what was happening in class, and focused only on my thoughts. Then, I felt a weird kind of feeling. It was like a tingling sensation in my brain. It didn't hurt, but it was definitely unusual. It felt as if I had a "sixth sense". Then I realised, it was a "spider sense", which never went away, even when I lost my powers. My vision only seemed to focus to my right. I was drawn to something out the classroom window. Not something, but someone was there, and it was Peter. He waved and signalled to me that he would be in soon. I smiled in response, with my eyes opened wide.

"Jacqueline." the teacher called.

I looked to the front of the room and realised that the teacher was still calling the roll. When I looked back at the window, Peter was no longer there.

"Jacqueline?" the teacher repeated.

"I'm here." I quickly replied.

"Parker." she then called.

I looked at the seat next to me, that was still empty, but yet to be filled, hopefully in a matter of minutes.

"Parker." she called again.

There was a long silence and Peter still hadn't come in yet.

"Peter Parker, are you here?" the teacher called, sounding incredibly frustrated and annoyed.

"I'm here!" he said, just walking in. I looked up immediately and smiled.

"Peter, you're late, as usual." the teacher said, rolling her eyes.

"I'm sorry. It's a bad habit."

The teacher raised an eyebrow, then continued with the roll. While she did that, I turned to Peter who had now filled his empty seat.

"So you finally decided to come!" I whispered to him.

"Yeah! I had some stuff I needed to take care of!" he replied.

"Oh ok! Anything to do with stopping bad guys, helping the cops?" I said, moving slightly closer to Peter.

He smiled at me and jokingly pushed me back in my seat. We both looked at the teacher, then back at each other.

"No seriously, why didn't you tell me? I could have come with you and taken some great photos! My dad bought me this awesome new camera and I haven't had the chance to take some great spidey shots yet!" I said.

He shrugged, knowing he was annoying me. I playfully punched his shoulder and then we both cracked up laughing.

"Jacqueline! Peter! Do you both want to stay back after class?" the teacher shouted.

"No, Miss!" we both replied.

The teacher turned her back to the class, and then continued writing on the whiteboard. Peter and I looked back at each other, before we finally decided to pay attention.

Once it was recess, Peter and I walked outside, where we saw Gwen running across the yard, straight towards her boyfriend. She and Peter embraced in a tight hug, before kissing each other's lips. I smiled at the pair that was once together again after the few weeks of holidays.

"How come you didn't return any of my calls?" Gwen asked after they were done kissing.

"I was...busy!" Peter said with the biggest grin he could put on.

Gwen pulled away from Peter and took a step away from him, before folding her arms across her chest.

"Don't lie to me, mister! I know you've been out and about, saving lives, helping people! And you couldn't find anytime to catch up with your girlfriend during the few weeks we had of holidays!"

I laughed as I watched Peter and Gwen playfully argue. I kind of wished I was in a relationship like theirs. They were so close, that nothing would tear them apart, well, I hoped so.

"So! Any plans in mind for after we graduate?" I asked Peter and Gwen once we sat down at a table.

"Probably go to college, something like that!" Gwen said.

"I don't know. I'll probably do the same. Something Science related!" Peter said.

"Well I want to be a Photographer. I want to live in an apartment with a couple of roommates! It should be fun!" I said.

"That's a good idea!" Peter said with food in his mouth. "We could all live together and we would be able to each pay rent!"

"Oh, no way! There's no way I'm sharing an apartment with you! Your room's a mess! So there's no doubt that it's going to be exactly the same in an apartment!" Gwen said.

"See what I have to put up with!" Peter said, pointing to Gwen, next to him.

I laughed as Gwen punched Peter in the ribs. They were such an entertaining couple to watch.

"Ouch!" he cried. I knew it didn't actually hurt him, but I guess he was being realistic. He then started tickling her and she cried with laughter. Peter and Gwen were closer than ever, but I felt something completely strange. I could sense something bad that could happen between them. I wasn't sure what it was, but it didn't feel good. It didn't seem like there were any problems between them, but maybe something was going to happen to only one of them?

I could tell something bad was going to happen.