Ch. 29 Hoyt: Hoyt The Human

Start from the beginning

Hoyt almost thought about turning around and waiting. Taking the safe route snd waiting the hours away with Tessa or hunting Calina. But the pictures were fresh in his mind. It wasn't his problem this girl chose to work here. She obviously knew about Luka. Her glance at the clock wiped away any question of her not knowing about Luka.

"You dance with devil you take risks. Get him up."

"That's not gonna happen. It's the number one rule. I can call Klein. He's the day manager. Best your gonna get during bankers hours."

Hoyt had enough. The kid was obviously scared of Luka. And she should be. But he could be just as scary.

"Listen up. Closely. You can piss him off by getting him up. Or you can piss him up by not getting him up and having him wake up to a restaurant full of suits going through every nook and cranny for days. I'm knee deep in murder here and he's got some information I want. I'm not here for niceties. Either way, your pissing him off. This way, you place the blame on me."

The girl turned the color of new snow. She licked her lips and wiped the newly forming sweat from her forehead. She removed her phone and headphones and took off her apron. Hoyt saw her fixing her hair as she disappeared behind the door.

As he waited he kept himself occupied by thinking of boy blue. The child no one missed. To Hoyt he was the driving force behind destroying Calina. They all mattered, but somehow that one was the hardest for him.

Hoyt sensed a breeze and shifted his position. Muscles automatically moving to tense. Luka stood at his left. His face still pale and stone had a forced smile that put Hoyt on edge. He decided to skip the hello and get to business.

"Sorry to disrupt your beauty sleep. Your problems are just beginning. The more I get, the more you get. See how it works?  I've got dead kids, dead vampires, and a pocket full of questions that need to be answered."

Luka was so close Hoyt could smell him. He stepped back a step and reached for his pocket to get out his notebook. Something had his hair standing on edge and he moved slowly to avoid rustling Luka up who was definitely not a morning person. Hoyt felt like he was in the presence of a wild lion. And knew enough to be careful.

"I get it Hoyt. But you know what I need to do first? Have some breakfast."

Hoyt saw saliva dripping from Lukas fangs. His brain fired adrenalin and his heart sped. In a millisecond his training kicked in and he crouched and rolled. The bar where he was standing splintered with an explosive noise and Hoyt turned a table over to protect himself from the flying wood.

Still on the floor, he reached for his pocket and grabbed his gun. He shot wildly towards the front of the restaurant. His brain only thinking of taking out the darkly shaded glass and slowing the crazed Luka. If he was lucky, someone would call the cops. His shot went left and he lifted his arms to try again and make it count.

A blur of motion to his right spun him. He felt his shirt grow damp down his side and knew he was injured but had no idea how or how badly. He was only focusing on staying alive. Adrenalin told him to get up and fight.

As he stood, Hoyt grabbed a piece of wood from the floor and aimed it over his shoulder where he felt the next breeze. He had trained for years but Luka was faster than Hoyt would have believed possible. He felt the wood connect with something solid. It left his hand still embedded in whatever it landed in. His brain told him to take the chance and aim for the window again. 

He felt searing pain in his shoulder as he lifted it up to point his gun. In a flash the window shattered into pieces and Hoyt realized if he hadn't taken that shot and lifted his shoulder at that exact moment he wouldn't have a throat.

His own eyes squinted at the arrival of sunlight through the window. From behind him he registers a hiss and screech from Luka who is moving toward the bar. Hoyt picks up another shard of wood smaller than the first and cuts Luka off before he can get in the shadows behind the bar. Grey smoke slowly lifts from Luka's skin as he crouches and screams. Hoyt grabs ahold of him and doesn't let go despite Luka embedding his fangs in his dangling injured arm. He feels claw like fingers wiggling into his ribcage and uses his energy to thrust the wood into the side of Lukas head.

Hoyt feels strangely euphoric when silence replaced sound. His ears feel relieved as if an alarm had been ringing and was suddenly tuned off. He staggers backward to a table and with his vision swimming he fumbles for his phone. With numb fingers he tries to hit the panic button for the VCU. As the phone slick with blood falls to the floor Hoyt accepts the darkness calling him. The table is no match for his uneven weight and Hoyts still form doesn't feel a thing as it smacks into the floor. 

###########################

Oh my gosh! That was intense. For me. Maybe for you. I won't know unless you tell me!! Luka's death means big changes. But what are they? And did Hoyt just die??? Don't ask me I'm just as in the dark as you are!!! Ps- if you wouldn't mind not commenting the names of who died is appreciate it (if they both died! ) I don't know!!!!!!