Chapter One

Chapter one

(Picture of how I imagined Jayden to be at the side! But, you can imagine whoever comes to your mind!)

        It was a warm, sunny day as Jayden and I laid down side by side in our favourite field, kind of like our hideout. No one comes here. It's just us. It's our place. We usually come here to get away from everything. This field was our sanctuary, where we could really be ourselves.

        "So, allegiance day is next week." Jayden casually brought up the topic. 

        "Ugh. Don't remind me." I groaned. "Mom and dad have been busting my ears about it."

        "Well, you know they only want what's best for you." Jayden said with a parental tone in his voice.

        "Do they? Do they really?"

        "Of course. They're your parents." He said as he rolled his eyes.

        Of course I knew they wanted what was best for me, I just had to be stubborn about it. It was in my nature. Though, I'm not sure who I got it from, as my parents are the most compliant people in the world, except when it comes down to allegiance day.

        We laid there in silence for about ten minutes until Jayden reached out to entwine our fingers. You know what they say about electric currents running up your arms when you touch the person you're destined for? Jayden and I were supposedly mates, though I've never had those feelings before. Maybe they were just myths. But then again, I look around all the time and see mates looking so in love that envy bubbles up in me. I don't understand why we don't have that. 

        "What are you thinking about?" Jayden interrupted my deep thoughts.

        "What?"

        "You have that faraway look in your eyes. Spill."

        When I didn't respond, he shot up, straddling me with his knees supporting his weight beside my waist.

        "If you don't tell me now, I'm gonna have to tickle you." He said with a tinge of playfulness. 

        My eyes widened. "You wouldn't!"

        "Try me." He grabbed my sides and wouldn't ease up until I promised to tell him what I was thinking.

        “Okay… Okay… I promise!” I squealed, in between fits of laughter.

        "Promise what?"

        "I'll tell you!" I shrieked.

        Suddenly, he flipped us over so that I was straddling him instead. He looked deep into my emarald green eyes. My eyes wandered down his handsome face. He had a defined, chiselled jaw, lips that were curved up in a playful smile, and blue eyes full of mirth. I always felt uncomfortable when he looked at me with such intensity that I had to look away. He reached up to brush my brown mahogany hair away from my face, putting it behind my ear. I could feel the tell-tale blush forming on my cheeks.

        He stroked a finger down my reddened cheek. "You're so beautiful." 

        "I think we should go home," I whispered, "It's getting late." I tried to get up, but Jayden had other plans. He grabbed onto my waist, keeping me in place.

        "Oh no you don't! You're not gonna get out of this one."

        "Fine." I sigh. "I guess, I was just thinking about… allegiance day."