Chapter 1: The New Koti

Let's face it- I've made a few decisions in the past three years that have really changed who I am. Let's start with a few of the biggest ones.

1. I moved to England (let's not mention why, it still hurts).

2. I dyed my hair blonde.

3. I am on my way to becoming a professional writer.

Yes I know, a few of them are really surprising. I currently am living with my family in London- we had to relocate after my mother passed away, so Louis and I would be able to look after our four younger siblings.

Lottie is the oldest, she's 17 and quite independent. Lottie often helps me more with the younger ones than Louis does, because he is still away often.

Fizzy (her real name is Felicite) is 15 and loves living in London with us, she is bouncy and carefree and does her part around the house to help as well.

Then there's the twins- Daisy and Phoebe. They're 11 years old and have perhaps struggled the most with not having a mum, however they're doing well and we let them see our stepdad and step siblings (who are just babies) on weekends and sometimes spend holidays in Doncaster with them so that they still grow up within a fully functional-of-sorts family.

I roll out of bed at 8am so that I can walk to work. The responsibility I had always been lacking prior to my move from Sydney to London was finally present, and I had been able to keep this job as a paid intern for 2 years now.

I work at the prestigious London-based newspaper The Telegraph, and I love it. Even though I'm only an intern, it's the best job I've ever had, and I've decided that writing is my passion. The diary I've been keeping since that high-school assignment had really boosted my skills at being an author, and The Telegraph obviously liked my sample essay.

I pulled on a pair of sophisticated black pants, black flats, a flowing orange shirt (this colour no longer clashes with my hair), and then grabbed my favourite winter coat. It was mid November, so snow was beginning to fall, along with temperatures.

I walked out of my bedroom and into the kitchen, where Lottie and Fizzy were eating breakfast before school. Louis was away on tour, so the twins were at their stepdad's house. Lottie gave me a smile.

"Good morning," she greeted me.

Fizzy grunted, and I laughed. She was not a morning person.

"Morning you two," I replied. "Ready for school?"

I grabbed a mug and placed it under the coffee machine, which began to churn out the warm, caffeinated liquid that kept me alive most days.

"Eh," Fizzy replied. "School is school. Can't wait for Christmas to come so we can have a week or two off."

I chuckled, "Don't we all."

"Got much on at work today?" Lottie asked, taking a bite out of her toast.

I thought about it for a second. I would probably just be making coffee for my boss to be honest. Oh, and running errands for everybody else.

I didn't actually get to do much writing- but I observed the hell out of those who did.

"Nah probably not," I said. "Being an intern mainly means coffee runs."

Fizzy laughed, "At least you get to leave and see the city."

I smiled. She had a point- I adored London.

"Well I'd best be off," I announced, draining the last of my coffee and pulling on my coat. "I'll see you after school, maybe we can go and see a movie?" I asked.

"Sorry Koti, Carli is coming over," Lottie apologised.

"I've going out with my mates sorry sis," Fizzy added.

I sighed, "Alright, I'll go by myself."

The girls laughed and I grabbed my bag and left the large penthouse that Louis bought for us. I took the elevator to the ground floor and walked across the hall. Our receptionist, Gemma, waved like she did every morning.

"Have a good day at work Koti!" she yelled out.

"Thanks Gem!" I replied.

I stepped out into the cold, following the crowd of early morning workers all walking to work in the city. It was a ten minute walk from my apartment building.

I became one of the crowd, another face among the thousands, not someone who could be recognized. Yet, I was someone who could be recognized- a writer earning her way up the food chain of the journalism world, constantly being put down just because she was famous outside of her job. 

I arrived in the polished lobby of The Telegraph, showed my ID, and got into the lift with three other people. One of which was my fellow intern Robbie. 

"Morning Koti," he said with a friendly smile. Robbie was a lanky guy, slightly nerdy, but with good intentions. "How was the walk?" 

I smiled, "Pretty cold actually." 

Robbie laughed, and we got off at our office level. Every morning, we had to check our computers in our own tiny office for today's tasks. They were always emailed in by the overnight staff, who took requests for day staff to pass onto the interns. 

I logged onto my desktop, and opened up my emails. I sighed- more coffee and lunch runs. 

"What did you get?" Robbie asked. 

"Coffee and lunch runs. Caleb was saying to me yesterday they might give me a writing assignment- of course that hasn't happened yet," I grumbled. Robbie patted my back. 

"Not to worry Koti, you'll get there eventually. At least you get to leave the office though," he frowned, looking at his task list. 

"What did you get?" I inquired. 

"Observation," he sighed. "Third time in a row." 

Observation meant Robbie would be standing and watching people write- all day. 

"Don't let it get to you, maybe we'll swap tomorrow," I said, trying to lighten his spirits. 

"I can only pray," he said with a chuckle. 

I printed out the list of coffees that people wanted me to get, when another email came through to my computer. The dinging sound was the unmistakable, personalized sound of Caleb Hart. My heart skipped a beat, and I practically jumped back to my chair. 

"You got an email from Caleb?" Robbie asked, both disbelieving and jealous at the same time- although I'm not sure on who's behalf he was jealous of. 

"Seems like it..." 

Caleb Hart is the assistant editor, and to-die-for gorgeous. He had been my instructor in my first few months on the job, and it's safe to say, I'd dug myself a hole to crush in. It's something I use to forget about... Jesse. 

"Well what does it say?" Robbie asked. I shrugged and opened up the email. 

Koti, before you go out on your coffee run, please come up to my office. Also, tell Robbie to go to Jacinta- she has a special job for him.

Caleb.

I was curious as to what Caleb would want to talk to me about, but before I could ask Robbie what he thought, he was out and heading for Jacinta's office. 

Confused, I also made my way into the elevator, so that I could see soon what Caleb had in store for me.