Chapter 11: Of Parties and Confrontations

Start from the beginning

Harry had migrated over to a secluded corner of the room, as the portrait hole burst open, allowing the crowd of Gryffindors to pour into the Common Room. He wasn't really in the mood for a celebration. He was content to just watch as the other students entered and headed straight for the food and drinks. Without Fred and George around this year, nobody had any reason to fear that it may have been tampered with.

The noise level continued to rise as more and more students piled in. Neville and Hermione eventually made their way through the crowd in the Common Room. When they spotted Harry, they headed over.

"Hey guys," he greeted them.

"Where did all of that come from?" Hermione asked him, gesturing to the tables of food and drink.

"Isn't it obvious?" Neville responded before Harry had a chance.

"Well I'm guessing the food came from the kitchens, but they don't serve butterbeer," Hermione reasoned out. "And there wasn't time for anyone to sneak off into Hogsmeade to get it even with the aid of an invisibility cloak and map."

"No, they don't serve butterbeer in the castle, and you're right there hasn't been time since the match ended, but you might remember a few weeks back when a certain Gryffindor friend of yours was eager to get into Hogsmeade alone before anyone else in the school. I'm guessing that Harry was purchasing the butterbeer and trying to keep the whole thing a secret. Right, Harry?" Neville explained, finally turning towards Harry as he finished.

Harry cocked an eyebrow at Neville. "Dead on, mate. Good show." He slapped Neville on the shoulder. "And I thought you were supposed to be the smart one," he teased, turning his attention to Hermione. "Neville here is giving you a run for your money."

"I don't know about that," Neville grinned. "She does have five years of experience in the position. It'll be difficult to usurp her."

"Oh, you two," Hermione huffed. "You'd think that without Ron around, things might get a little more mature. I'm going to go get something to eat."

Harry and Neville laughed as Hermione walked away. The portrait hole opened again, and the Quidditch team entered to tumultuous applause. Their faces turned various shades of red as all the attention was fixed on the seven players.

Harry and Neville hung back as the rest of the students converged on the team. "They look a little overwhelmed," Neville commented idly after a moment.

Harry nodded, "Yeah, Katie's the only one who's really used to it. The rest haven't played more than a couple games each, and Nate and Stephanie have never gone through this before. So it's only natural they'd react that way. It takes some getting used to believe me. I don't think I've ever really gotten used to it."

"You're handling it alright this year," Neville remarked. "I mean, I know you haven't faced that this year," he gestured out toward the still cheering students, "but you've still been in the spotlight quite a bit, what with teaching your classes and all."

Harry nodded thoughtfully. "That's different, but at the same time similar. It's easier in class because I have a lesson to teach. There's a reason I'm in the center of attention. Times like this I never know what I'm supposed to do."

The two watched the team's progress. Harry watched as Ron attempted to make the rounds and play up their first win under his captaincy. Most of the students Ron approached appeared to find someone else they needed to talk to and no one approached him.

Noticing the direction of Harry's gaze, Neville commented, "It doesn't seem that the win earned him any forgiveness in the house."

Harry didn't acknowledge the statement for a moment, as they both watched Ron with Hermione at his side retreat to a corner of the room. "Have you noticed that they haven't really argued since Ron kicked me off the team?"