Chapter 23: Part 1

Leo's POV

The sunlight streaming through the windows woke me up. I expected to hear Lexi playing with the papers on my desk. She wasn't there. I sat up and looked around the room. She waas nowhere to be found. That was odd. She was always sitting somewhere waiting for me. I stood up and expected her to pop out at me. After a few minutes, nothing.

I decided to go get dressed. When I had finished, I went out to the kitchen for breakfast. When she wasn't there, I decided to ask my mom what happened. Maybe she knew something that I didn't know.  

"Hey mom," I started, "have you seen Lexi. She wasn't in my room this morning. I was thinking she may be out here, but..." My mother sighed. "Honey, we need to talk. Please sit down," she said. "Alright," I said. Then we both sat down. My mom looked like she was in distress.

"Lexi ran away last night," she said. "What?! Why would she do that," I asked. "she found out something that we were going to tell you both this morning," my mother said. "That would be..." I said, leaving my sentence hanging. She took another sigh. "We're adopting Max," she said. "What?!" I said in disbelief.

"Ya," my mom said. "It took us a while to decide. We finally decided that Max would be a better fit for our family. Anyway, Sammy told us that Lexi was being relocated to the nearest orphanage." "No, she isn't. She is going to Florida.  That's 10 hours away. Guess what else, she is going to a Boarding Home! The rules will be so strict, and they will tear her apart. Who knows who will adopt her, I don't want her to end up mad and a bully!" I kept going on and on. I just couldn't stop. My mother just sat there and let me ramble on.

Finally, my mom put her hand on my shoulder and I just stopped and sat back down. Then she spoke up again. "We almost adopted Lexi, but, and she doesn't know this, the Anthony's are going to adopt her. After you all come back from visiting the Elements. They just don't know if they will get approved."

I sat there with my mouth wide open. I have no clue how to respond to that. Lexi getting adopted was great. I just decided to get the heck out of here.

I looked at the time acting as if I was in a hurry, and then said to my mother, "I've gotta go. Jack is expecting me in 2 minutes." Then I got up and went to my room to grab my bag.

On my way out, my mom grabbed me by the arm. "Please don't tell Lexi," she said. I sighed. "I'll think about it." Then I walked out and ran right into Jack.

Maria was closely behind him. Then I looked around expecting to see Lexi. I didn't see her.

"If your looking for Lexi, she is over at our house," Jack said. Then Jack started walking back. Maria looked at me. "He's grumpy. He doesn't want to go on a trip, that's all." Then she held out her hand. I took it and we walked over to her house.