“Aye, it is the painting that your mother put in the study, the painting that should be in its frame before she notices its absence.”

Nathaniel waved a hand dismissively.  “I can take care of Mother’s theatrics.  I want to know why she gave it back.”

“She, what she?” Harry asked with suspicion.

“The woman I was talking about, the reason why I wanted to speak to the gypsies.”

Harry looked down on Nathaniel.  “You told me you wanted to find a woman you had only met briefly.  You said nothing about this woman being a thief.”

“A beautiful thief,” he mumbled while taking a step away from Harry.

Harry’s eyes narrowed.  “You should not tempt a thief.”

“She will not harm me.  If she wanted too, she could have had her dragon kill me last night.”

“A dragon, you said nothing about a dragon.  Nathaniel, get back here this once!”

Nathaniel did not listen though as he made his way through the crowd of people lining the walkway.  A few people lingered in his way, but a polite tap on the shoulder made them move.  Why were they all gathering?  What could cause such a large stir?

Pushing further into the crowd, he listened to the ramblings of the near-by people.

“She’s back,” one said in happiness.

“She will not stay long though,” another said in a sad voice.  “You know how our Lady is.  She cannot happily stay home for too long.  Her calling is elsewhere.”

“What do you think she will look like this time?  Blond hair with purple eyes?” one questioned in glee.

“Nay, she never disguises herself as anything too beautiful.  Purple eyes are too noticeable.”

Nathaniel exited the crowd and glanced back at the happy, chattering people.  What were they so happy about?  Who was this woman they were excited about?  Shrugging, he threw the thoughts to the back of his mind.  He had other questions that needed to be answered.

Following his own instincts, he began trying to track the gypsies.  It did not take him long to discover their caravans.  Some sat about in silence as others stood near the road and sang.  As people walked by, they would drop coins beside them.  It was true that the gypsies had some of the most beautiful voices. 

Walking towards them, he smiled at the group.  None turned to acknowledge him, but it was what he expected.  Pulling out a small bag, he jangled it.  “I would like to speak with one of you.”

Eyes turned towards the money covered in cloth.  Some turned away in disinterest while others pointed towards one caravan.  Pocketing his coins, Nathaniel walked towards the large, red covered caravan.  Before he could begin walking up the steps, the cloth doors parted.  An old lady stepped out.  “I will speak with you in here.”

As soon as she emerged, she disappeared.  Nathaniel thought about the odd behavior briefly before dismissing it.  They were gypsies; they did odd things.  Pushing the cloth open, he settled on the ground and stared at the woman. 

She stared back with a blank expression.  “What have you come here for?”

“I am looking for someone.”

The old lady shook her head.  “I do not do discovery spells.  Only the most powerful can do those, and I do not meddle in what I cannot.”

“I do not want a spell,” he said while shaking his head.  “I want to know what stories you have heard about a woman with a dragon.”

“Abe,” the woman whispered before freezing.  “What do you want with Abe?”

“Abe?  I do not care about your Abe.  I am looking for a woman with magic and a dragon,” he said slowly hoping the old woman would understand.

“I am old, young man, but not daft.  I will not tell you a thing about our Abe.  I do not know what harm you wish to cause, but you will not find help from the gypsies.”

“I do not wish to harm your Abe-”

The lady held a hand up to interrupt him.  “I can see it in your future.  You cause harm to those who do not deserve it.  I will not help you in your task.  Now leave and take your tainted coins with you.”

Nathaniel hesitated briefly before nodding.  “I honestly do not want to cause harm to anyone.  If my future actions cause harm to this Abe, I am sorry.”

Lifting the curtain, he exited the caravan more confused than when he arrived, and no more closer to his goal.  Pulling out his pocket watch, he groaned in defeat.  He had just enough time to change, and then it was time for the party.  A party he wished would never happen.