Chapter 1

'How did I end up here?'
That question repetitively flooded through my head as I picked the notes on my bass. I picked quicker as the tempo sped up again.

"Sorry man, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have looked at it..." Courtney growled, strumming her guitar with so much force I thought she'd break a string.

Courtney Love, the lead singer and rhythm guitarist of the band Hole, had asked me to join the band about two months before. Hole's former bassist left the band, so they were in desperate need for someone to fill in for a couple of gigs.

Hole's other guitarist, Eric Erlandson, was one of my friends from high school. Eric and I used to jam whenever we could. I was mostly on bass and he was mostly on guitar. Every once in a while, when we started hanging out more frequently, we'd switch instruments, but we mainly stuck with what we started off with.

After their other bassist left, he informed Courtney that he knew someone else who could play bass pretty well. In case you didn't guess, the person he was talking about was me.

Courtney called me and asked if I would mind doing a few shows with the band until they found a bassist. Even though I didn't really know what I'd be playing, I agreed. Little did I know I would end up being the permanent replacement, which brings me to where I am as of now.

As we finished up the song "Mrs. Jones," I moved around my area of the stage rhythmically. My brown hair was stuck to my head due to sweating. Most places seemed hot when you were performing.

Even though we were playing in a small venue in Portland, Oregon, Courtney wanted to make sure everyone was assigned an area to stay in. I was on the left, Courtney in the middle and Eric on the far right. That's the way it'd always been.

It's not like she came out and said that's what she wanted, instead she just sorta manipulated us into thinking we had a certain spot. It's not like I minded too much, though. I was just the bassist, after all. I was barely given an opportunity to speak on stage.

As I spent more time with Courtney, I started to learn she had a certain thing about her. She wanted to be in control. She had things a specific way in her mind, and she liked to make things as she had them imagined. She'd get upset if things didn't go as she planned.

Even though this was pretty frustrating to deal with, especially since I could see through what she was trying to do/did do, it did not change the fact that Courtney had become one of my closest, best friends over the past months. She could be a pain, but I still loved her. The two of us had grown unexpectedly close. We told each other things no one else knew about. I trusted her, and she trusted me. It was like an unspoken fact about our relationship.

After a few more minutes the song ended. I stopped moving and unplugged my bass from the amp. Like the song, the show was finished as well.

"Thank you to all you fucks out there in the audience. You're such a sly bunch." Courtney spoke loudly into the mic. The rest of us just walked offstage.

After a little more commentary to the audience, Courtney decided it was time for her to get off the stage too, so she said one final goodbye, then went to meet the rest of us backstage.

"I'll tell you what, the crowds just keep getting rowdier and rowdier," Courtney said, shaking her head,"It's like they think it's funny to be rude to me."

"I don't think there's anything we can do about it. Might as well just not complain," our drummer, Caroline, stated.

Courtney ignored her and paced around backstage until she found a bottle of water. She opened it and took a drink. Then she turned to me.

"Want one?" She asked, voice still raspy from the show.

"Sure," I agreed.

She opened another bottle of water, then tossed it to me gently. I caught it one handed.

"Someone's getting cocky," Courtney joked, and I smirked

Taking a drink, I sat down on the floor and leaned against the wall. As the others chatted about stupid things, I tuned them out. I couldn't have cared less about what they were talking about, I was ready to go home.

"Goddamn it! Lyla Marie Salter, for fucks sake, answer me!" Courtney jokingly yelled, laughing slightly. I guess she could tell I wasn't paying attention.

"What? Did someone say my name?" I said, snapping out of my trance. I took another sip of my water.

"Yeah, as a matter of fact, I did," Courtney spat, still teasing me,"As I was saying, Kurt and I were going to be staying at the Comfort Inn a little ways from here. Just making sure you guys know where I am in case you need me, your fearless leader."

Courtney flipped her hair and straightened her dress, half joking. What she said did have some truth to it. Without Courtney, there was no band.

"Kurt's band is playing somewhere around here, too. I'm not sure if Krist and Dave will be at the hotel or not." She added on, thinking aloud.

I had never met Courtney's boyfriend, Kurt. All I knew was that he was the lead singer and guitarist of Nirvana. Nirvana was one of the biggest bands in the world at the moment. Their single "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was constantly playing on the radio. The video was also constantly on MTV. I always wondered how Courtney managed to hook up with him.

"Alright," Eric nodded,"I think the three of us might end up staying there too. After all, it's affordable and not that far from here," he motioned to Caroline, himself and me.

Courtney sighed loudly. It was obvious she wanted to be off with Kurt by herself.

"Relax Court, it's not like we're gonna be up your ass filming your guys' sex tape," I said and rolled my eyes, causing her to smile slightly.

"You've never met, him have you?" Courtney questioned.

"Met who?"

"Kurt."

"Oh. No," I replied and laughed, then finished the rest of my water. I crumpled up the bottle and threw it at Caroline, making her laugh.

"I'll introduce you then. He's a little shy though, so don't think he automatically hates you or something. Just be sure not to act like you're into Nirvana a lot." Courtney rambled.

"Not a problem. 'Teen Spirit' gets on my nerves anyways. It's everywhere!"

Eric and Caroline chuckled quietly and Courtney gave me a look to shut up.

•••••••••••••••

The four of us packed up our things and soon headed to our hotel for the night. When we arrived we were quickly checked into our rooms, then greeted by a man wearing a thick coat with the hood pulled up.

"Kurt!" Courtney squealed and ran up to him, throwing her arms around him.

Even though he was a little startled, he caught her, then hugged her back. He gave her a quick peck on the forehead, then released her a few seconds after.

He waved at Eric, nodded towards Caroline and then stared blankly at me. It was if he was trying to stare right through me. That was the first time his bright blue eyes met my dark brown ones. He made my heart melt, and yet he hadn't even spoke.

Kurt was, like Courtney said, shy, but that was somehow part of his charm. I knew he had me the night we met.