Chapter 2 A Cat playing with Roses

" Oh sweetheart you're okay! Ruby yelled as she disappeared in a cloud of rose petals and snatched Crescent Rose from a member of the Diamond Dogs R and D team. Ocelot raised an eyebrow as Ruby began cuddling the sniper scythe. As the other girls retrieved their weapons and equipment the tension in the room disappeared.

After a long tour of Mother Base, Ocelot escorted Team RWBY to their room. It was a modest room with two bunk beds and a toilet. Some women's night clothes had been laid out for them. Ocelot still didn't know why. Big Boss was actually giving them a proper room. Quiet , who had arrived at Mother Base under similar circumstances slept in the brig, a collection of cages with modest beds and toilets on one of Mother Base's platforms that enemy soldiers extracted via the Fulton Recovery System or by Snake throwing them in a helicopter stayed. ( But then again their were some unconfirmed rumors of the mute female sniper sunning her back topless in her cage and she could have made a request for an actual room even if she was mute But if a Diamond Dogs soldier had seen her topless they would not be breathing. )

" Hey Weiss bunk beds!, this will be just like our dorms back at Beacon. " Ruby said cheerfully.

The heiress' dour expression softened a bit.

(She had been glaring daggers at Ocelot throughout the whole tour.)

" Alright good night girls.... and Snow Angel. " Ocelot said.

" What the fu-"

" Weiss!" Blake yelled a she pulled the blanket over herself.

Yang yet out a yawn as her eyelids opened. She looked at the clock mounted on the wall. It read 7:30. Letting out a sigh she readied for the herculean task of waking up her teammates

Team RWBY arrived at Mother Base's mess hall at 7:55. The mess hall was crammed full of soldiers. They saw Snake sitting at a table smoking one of his cigars while eating breakfast. He saw Team RWBY and had had a bemused expression as they got in line.

Team RWBY sat across Snake. The food was surprisingly good. Beacon ' s cafeteria was good but the food here was great. " This is pretty good." Weiss admitted hesitantly. Ocelot let out a dry chuckle. " An army marches on its stomach. " Snake said. As they continued eating Ruby asked Snake why they were called Diamond Dogs. "Mother Base is on a body of water near a country called Africa. They have a lot of diamond mining and trading there. We use the raw diamonds we find in the field or are paid with to fund Mother Base, research new weapons and equipment, purchase food and pay the men... it's also the name of a David Bowie album I like."

" Oh." Ruby said.

" Hey what's that insignia on your right shoulder mean?" Yang asked.

Snake's expression changed. His single blue eye seemed full of grief and rage, desperate for retribution. Kaz looked like he was angry and was about to say something. Big Boss stopped him.

" It's the insignia of my old mercenary group Militaires Sans Frontieres or MSF. They were wiped out nine years ago. " Snake said quietly.

Yang was about to ask what had happened when. Blake shushed her.

The rest of the breakfast went by in silence.

Soon after breakfast Big Boss began preparing for a mission He wore his Tiger Stripe uniform and had his MRS-4 carbine slung. His WU silent pistol tranquilizer gun was holstered. DD, his wolfdog companion and Diamond Dogs mascot trotted by his side.

DD barked happily at Team RWBY. Blake looked nervous and Snake swore that cute bow she was wearing twitched.

Weiss however beamed at the wolfdog and started petting him.