“No, I’m sure she cares. Something else is going on.” I say, Faye just shakes her head and I leave it be. She definitely doesn’t care about Avalon. I try making conversation a few times, but Faye seems completely uninterested and after a few tries I just stop talking.

         “Jess!” I turn my head and see my boyfriend walking towards our table. I can feel a smile creeping on to my face, just like every other time I see him. He makes me happy no matter what else is going on. He kisses me before sitting down.

         “How are you feeling?” I grin; I can tell by looking at his expression the hangover is still bad.

         “Don’t mock me.” He groans, “You won’t believe how nauseated I am at the moment.” He puts his arm around me and I move a little closer to him. “Hi . . . Faye, is it?” he looks questioningly at me and I nod. This makes her look up from her book and her eyes immediately focus on him.

         “Hi.” She breathes, I realize this is the first time they really meet each other.

         “Faye, this is my boyfriend Frederick.” I say, presenting him properly.

         “I know.” She just says, her eyes never leaving Frederick. Something about the way she looks at him bothers me, it’s too admiring. But Fred doesn’t seem to notice, he smiles at her and I can practically see her insides melt. She immediately begins asking him all about high school and the college, about being a scholarship student, and soon they are engaged in a deep conversation about physics, and I am completely lost, not really following what they’re talking about.

Frederick normally tries to get me into the conversations whenever something like this happens, but Faye won’t let him. She keeps asking more questions, and soon it’s like he’s forgotten I’m sitting right next to him. It feels like forever has passed when Faye finally stops to breathe, I poke Fred in his side with my elbow and he eventually looks at me. Glee shining from his face and I can tell he’s excited about this conversation, but at this moment I don’t care. I want to get him alone, away from Faye.

         “Want to go for a walk?” I ask quietly so Faye won’t hear and protest. He looks longingly at Faye for a second but then he smiles at me and stands up. We excuse ourselves from the table and leave the cafeteria.

         “Faye is pretty cool.” He says when we’re outside. I arch an eyebrow and look skeptically at him.

         “She’s fine, I guess. I don’t really have that much in common with her.” Except for our taste in books.

He grins at me, “Jessica Dawn, are you jealous?”

         “What? No! Of course not!” I try to sound convincing, but I know I fail miserably at the attempt by looking at Fred’s amused face.

         “You have no reason to be jealous, you know I love you!” he grabs my hand and kisses the backside. He’s such a gentleman.

         “It just seems like you were much more interested in her than me in there.” I sigh. Fred looks around quickly and pulls me with him down the side of the building, pinning me against the wall when we’re out of everyone’s view.

         “Don’t ever think like that again, Jessica.” He whispers, “I just got carried away by our conversation, I love you.”

         “But . . .” I begin but he cuts me off with a kiss. There is so much desire on that one kiss; it makes me forget what I was about to say. He moves his lips to my neck and begins to slowly kiss it, reminding me a lot of earlier when I was with Phoenix. That had felt different, these are such loving kisses, and the butterflies flutter around in my stomach. But I don’t feel the same eagerness as I did with Phoenix, I don’t feel my body yearning for more of him, and I don’t feel lost in his touch the way I did with Phoenix. My skin doesn’t burn from where his lips touch me the way it does when Phoenix touches me.