1 - Be a Witness to a Murder Case

Start from the beginning

          "I'm done with dumb blonde girls. I want to step up my game. I get past this girl, I can get whoever I want," he explained. Madness was thick in his voice.

          "She's the daughter of the sheriff. You don't want to get involved with her," I warned him.

          "Why, that's better!" I looked at him and stopped for a moment to question myself if he's real. "If she fell in love with me I'll get her father's approval. I will have immunity to whatever fun I'll do in the future. No one's going to suspect me, Oliver."

          He didn't wait for my reaction. It doesn't matter anyway. Nothing I'll say will sway him from doing what he wants. He swaggered towards the girl but toned down his arrogance when her eyes met him. Since curiosity is the bane of everyone's existence, I followed him. I stood not too close but near enough to hear them. Luckily, the crowd started to lessen and the gossiping started to fade so I had the chance to catch bits of their conversation.

          "Excuse me, are you investigating this case?" Erwin asked the girl with utmost politeness. Suddenly, all traces of Erwin the murderer, the liar, and the manipulator were gone. His hands were shaking and his fingers were entangled with each other like a man being plagued with anxiety.

          The girl shook his head. "I'm just taking notes."

          "I want to make a statement."

          I almost pulled Erwin away from the girl. He's the one who killed the officer, what is he going to do? Turn himself so that the girl will appreciate his honesty? It didn't make sense to me but I let him. I convinced myself that he has a plan. He's brilliant. He got away from so many crimes already and I don't think this sudden change of heart will ruin everything for him now.

          The girl's face lit up with interest. She clicked her pen and gave all her attention to Erwin no matter how busy her surrounding was. Her eyes were shining emeralds because of anticipation. She was breathing fast and she was obviously calming herself. She isn't much of a mystery. Her father is a sheriff, who works with crimes every day of his life, it's not impossible for his little girl to take a common interest with his job too.

          Erwin maintained his troubled expression. He's breathing became heavier every second and he's sweating like he have just ran in a marathon. He's composing himself and preparing for his statement when the sheriff approached them.

          "Any problem here, Margoth?" The sheriff asked while looking alternately at Erwin and his daughter.

          Margoth turned to her father. The fire in her eyes went out the moment her father walked towards them. She looked like she's hesitating whether she wants to turn Erwin's statement to her father or take it by herself secretly. It was written all over her face, she wanted to get involved in the case so much that she's willing to take responsibility of whatever my companion has to say to her no matter how dangerous it will be.

          Sheriff Manson waited a word from his daughter. When he got impatient, he turned to Erwin and demanded an explanation from him.

          "I saw what happened," Erwin told the police. "I'm willing to tell you everything if you could swear that I will have full protection from you."

          The sheriff and her daughter looked at each other. They have the same shade of green eyes but Margoth has softer look whilst her father was looking at Erwin with suspicion.

          In the end, Sheriff Manson took Erwin with them. He looked back at me and flashed a sly smile and as fast as the blink of an eye, he was back again as the traumatized witness of a murder he himself committed.