Chapter Seven: Interrogation

Chapter Seven:

Interrogation

-Kevin's POV-

They went home at around 4 PM. Di rin sila nagsabi kung kelan uli sila bibisita. Nagayos din ako konti dun sa office tapos humiga maghapon at nagmukmok sa kwarto hanggang sa sipagin akong magbabad dun sa pool sa likod.

I changed into the white cotton shorts I wore last night and grabbed the robe I bought from a sale in Greenbelt and made my way to the pool. The pool in question was tiny and round shaped, it could double as a above-average size jacuuzi. the purpose I had in mind when this was made was that it was for a pool party for 5 or for romantic-setup date or for a mini getaway that I could have when I'm bored/stressed/sad and all the negative emotions you could think of.

To my surprise, nasa gilid ng pool si Toby. Nakadamit pangswimming pero di naman lumalangoy nakalublob lang ang paa sa pool at nagiisip.

"Hey." He noticed me.

"Hey Toby." I noticed him noticing me.

"What brings you here Kevs?" He noticed me noticing him noticing me :D

"I come here when I'm not okay." I said as-a-matter-of-factly.

"Well that's deep, I was just thinking about swimming then I realized it's November and the breeze is not so friendly.." He looked at me.

"You know you can just turn on the heater and the bubble jets."

"Will you swim with me?"

"I'd rather read." Taking out a magazine I bought on my way home.

"Alright."

I skimmed through the pages pretending that Toby is not looking at me. He made a tiny whistle sound and I looked at him in defeat.

"Ano na, Toby?"

"Kevs, you do know that the silence is deafening and that it feels so akward."

"I know. I just don't want to talk. But that has nothing to do with you, I just want to be distracted." I went back to reading, this time with full attention.

After a few good minutes..

"Psssst." Toby called for my attention.

"What do you want Toby?"

"I love you."

(I nearly fell off my chair.)

"What did you say?"

"I said I like you."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I hate you."

"What the hell Toby I fu-- never mind."

"Thank you."

"Toby what do you want? For reals? I'm reading!"

"Lester's pissed off. I don't know why. He didn't event acknowledge my farewell before they went home. I feel weird." I was surprised. Dirediretso ang pananalita niya ngayon. Di na siya one liner.

"I know Toby. He was looking daggers at your back while you're preparing for my lunch."

"Why would he do that? I mean. There's nothing wrong with preparing your lunch. Unless.."

"Unless what?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Unless he likes you. Or something. Do you guys have "a thing" right now? Uhm.. I mean, it's completely fine with me.."

"What? Uhm, no. See I have a thing for him, but after the wedding and all that shit I just chose to give up na lang. This is so pointless and there are no benefits. But still.."

"Oh yeah?" Gulat ata siya.

"Dapat kwinekwento sayo to eh! But you know what? I'm still expecting that maybe someday, the tides will turn and he'll finally fall for me. Weird isn't it?" I almost cried.

Toby sat on the chair beside mine.

"You know now what Kevin? It's normal for people to formulate "perfect" moments in their minds. But I'm sure you know that expecting something like that to happen could really hurt you in the future. And I don't mean to pry but I know that you're tired of this shit."

"I guess so. I thought you knew everything. Akala ko nga nagkwekwento si Lester sayo eh, hindi pala." I murmured.

"He didn't mention a thing about you. And your, uh, feelings for him. Let's change the topic please. I want to talk about you and me." He smiled.

HA?!

"Oh! Anong gusto mong malaman?"

"Anything. Just anything."

"I don't know why, but I just really hate coconut." I said.

"That's really interesting and uhh, specific. So here's mine, uhmm I wanna get married in a garden someday." He smiled.

"I don't wanna marry anyone."

"Why not?" His smile faded.

"In the next life, I'll be marrying him. I will marry him. I'm not so lucky in my current lifetime."

"Too bad. I think I'm gonna marry you." Toby's smile was back again.

"Don't mess with me Toby. I'm already messed up."

"Why do you always put me in the friend zone?! I hate you."

"I don't know what you mean by that." I said.

"I mean like this."

He pushed me in the water.

It's fucking cold.