Turning to Buddy, Sally felt as if she’d cry. “I don’t know why he did that. I guess I let my guard down too soon. I was becoming comfortable. When the vandal painted those words on the house, I was on watch; always looking for the next move. But, it’s been a few weeks, so I figured I was in the clear.” A thought occurred to her, evident on her face. “Buddy? Do you think Davenport did it?”

“No, Sally. I don’t, but I think he knows more than he’s letting on. I’ll speak with Will, and maybe we can find a way. Are you alright?"

“Yes. I’m alright. I’m a little baffled. He said he knew who I was and what I used to…” the tears stopped her from speaking further. Buddy pulled her head to his chest, stroking her back as she cried out her frustrations.

“What is going on out here?” Mamie asked, coming out, shocked at Sally’s state of disarray.

“Someone decided to be mean to Sally. I took care of him. She’s a little upset, but I’m sure a few more minutes will prove her just fine.” He added emphasis by patting her back. Sally sniffed a few times in response. Her shaking slowed, as did her breathing. “There, there.” Buddy whispered.

“I’ll get her some water. Bring her inside and have her sit down, won’t you Buddy?”

“Yes, ma’am. I’m glad to.”

*****

As he walked away, he cursed Buddy Brand under his breath. He was delivering a message to Sally from his boss, and the stinking deputy had interrupted. The idea that he could have kissed that beautiful woman, who happened to know exactly how to please a man, made his body react accordingly. He’d love to get her alone.

Well, his boss would hear about it, and report to the big boss, but Charles Hugh Davenport aimed to get Miss Sally underneath him: Regardless of what the boss said. The stupid idiot the boss had hired to paint the message on the porch had since moved on to Boulder to work for the man in charge of this shindig.

No matter. There would be another opportunity. He saw how Sally swayed those curves all over town and turned more than his head. Many of the miners as well as other men in town liked her look. Maybe he’d convince the boss that Sally needed to stay in Erie as the Brothel Mistress, and he’d be her overseer; which meant he’d get his “rights” to her anytime he pleased. And he pleased!

*****

Sally sat staring at nothing. She didn’t want to run from her problems, especially any of her own making, but now she had another person to worry about. She was oblivious to everything, except maybe Buddy’s hand holding her own. She turned her attention to the shy lawman at her side. He always seemed to be in the right place at the right time.

“Thank you, once again, for rescuing me. It seems I attract the worst, and you manage to send them packing every time.” She reached up and touched his cheek, a day’s worth of growth scratching her palm just a little.

“Sally, I’d move heaven and earth to make sure you’re safe.” Buddy said, taking her palm from his cheek and kissing her knuckles. “You’re worth it to me.”

“How did I gain such merit? I’m an unwed, pregnant, runaway whore. I don’t deserve you. I sometimes think I deserve all the negative attention. And there are days a girl gets so lonely, that the old life calls to you, like a whisper, to come back. There are times I want to go. I don’t because…” unable to finish her sentence, Sally placed her hands on her abdomen and closed her eyes, inhaling deeply to keep another assault of tears at bay.

Buddy stood up, his feelings evident all over his face. “Miss Sally. I never want to hear that talk come out of your mouth again. Ya hear me?” His assertive tone pulled her out of her pity party, forcing her to look on his visage. “You are worth more than that life can offer. You’re worth more than you give yourself credit for. Why won’t you see that?” Turning to Mamie, Buddy added: “Please excuse my outburst. I need to leave. Have a nice day. I’ll check in later. You’ll let me know if there’s even a sign of possible trouble, right?” Mamie and Sally both nodded as Buddy tipped his hat and walked out without another word.