People in the woods

Start from the beginning

My stockings were already ruined, my mother would probably kill me for this but I was too excited to care. I'll face the music later, for now, I still have something to do.

I went deeper and deeper into the woods until I was close enough to the People that I can see them, I hid behind a tree, watching what they will do.

They had formed a line in front of the tall, thick bushes that seems to mark the end of the forest for there was no way they could get through that wall unless they cut it.

One of them, the guy who always acts like the leader of the group put his hand on the bushes as if groping for something.

Finally, as if satisfied, he put his hand down and to my astonishment, the bushes shifted, moving on their own.

My jaw dropped as I caught a glimpse of what's beyond.

I saw a beautiful garden, roses, chrysanthemums, violets and poppies, all of the flowers I could name was there and on the middle was a huge house with pointed spires and huge glass windows, the kinds of which I only see in huge cathedrals in the city and beyond that was a river, the sun glinting on it, the line of trees stopped outside the bush for I saw no trees beyond it, just lush neatly trimmed grass and flowers with butterflies flying here and there.

The People followed the man except for one boy who lingered behind. Before he entered, he turned and smiled at me, my heart almost stopped beating, I thought he was about to say something but he just winked, walked in and the bush closed once again.

I stopped. Starstruck by the boy's smile, I was too young then to fall in love but not young enough to be able to resist the charms of a handsome mysterious boy.

I didn't know what happened next that day, everything was hazy, all I remembered was the boy's smile, his blonde hair that looks soft to touch and his twinkling cornflower blue eyes.

My mother told me that they found me wandering in the forest that afternoon, I was so dazed and fevered that they thought I was struck by a rare flu.

After that day, she forbade me to go anywhere alone.

The People of the Woods still went to church every Sunday and now I look forward to the mass even more for I really wanted to see the boy.

I think that he looks like an angel and even more handsome or perfect than the statue of the saints on the altar.

Oh! God forgive me but I can't help it.

Night after night I dream of him and always whenever the dream ends he'd smile at me and I'll want to sleep more to be with him.

I started to hate the times when I wake up and I hate it even more when I can't remember anything in my dream except his smile.

Night became my favorite time of the day, it is only at Sundays that I become excited at the prospect of waking up for I can see him then though he acts as if he doesn't know me. They were still the same, they laugh and talk in their strange language and was aloof with other people.

I longed to be like them more. I wanted to laugh like them, to be as beautiful as them, to wear their clothes, to live in that beautiful house and most of all, I wanted to be with him.

My mother got worried with my strange behavior that she suggested I take a vacation at my Aunt's place in the city.

"No! I don't want to be in the city!" I protested.

If I go to the city, I wouldn't see him!

"Honey, you need a change of scenery, you're not all that well, I think it would be better if you go there. Your Aunt has a friend who is a Doctor, he's a good doctor, he'll make you better and then you'll be home in no time. Please, honey." My mom pleaded.