Chapter Three | Door Knockers Are Always the Better Catches

Start from the beginning

Dad sighed. "Imagine if it was just Marley and me." He shuddered, like the idea scared him, and Sophie and I both started giggling, especially when Marley walked past grumbling how he'd heard what dad just said.

There was a couple knocks on the front door suddenly, making me jump slightly in fright. Sophie was in the lounge with Marley watching TV and I had been helping dad set the table. Since when did Stan knock?

Normally, he just waltzed right on in with a six pack and the chicken.

"Can you open the door for Stan, honey?" Dad asked, busy with the vegetables he was cooking. I nodded, and walked to the front door, opening it at the same time I was about to say something when all thoughts escaped me and my mouth fell open in shock.

Flynn Morgan was at my doorstep.

"What are you-"

"Harls! Sorry we're late, the chicken took longer to cook than expected." Stan yelled, suddenly appearing behind Flynn with a large tin foiled tray and the six pack of beer under his right arm.

I snapped my jaw shut quickly when I noticed Flynn beginning to smirk slightly and grinned at Stan, regaining my composure. "That didn't come out of your oven, did it Stan?"

"Tell your dad and I'll eat the leg."

Stan knew full well that was my favourite part of the roast chicken he always brought on Sundays, and I glared at him as he walked past me into the house and dropped a fatherly kiss on my hair.

At least he wasn't threatening to tell my father about what he'd written on the napkin this morning. It wasn't true, but it didn't need to be discussed, regardless.

Turning back to Flynn who was still casually standing on my doorstep, I frowned slightly and opened my mouth before I could think twice.

"So did Monica press charges and your here to arrest me?"

Flynn laughed, his face breaking out into a full fledged grin that made my heart do a little pitter patter in my chest, but I ignored the feeling, concentrating on something not quite so distracting.

Like the bushes to the right over Flynn's shoulder. Or the red bike lying on the front lawn of the house across the street.

"No, your father and Stan invited me for dinner."

They did what.

"Why?" I spluttered out, and after a few seconds realised how rude that could have sounded. He replied before I could fix what I had said.

"My oven shat itself last night in my new apartment and your dad said it would be like a thank you for letting you off with a warning." Flynn said, tilting his head to the side as he watched the emotion flash across my face.

"Oh." Was my wonderful, intelligent response.

"They didn't tell you I was coming?" Flynn asked his eyebrow rising slightly and I tried not to look too much at his face otherwise I'd probably say something stupid and irrelevant again. It wasn't like I was equip to deal with attractive men turning up at my doorstep for Sunday dinner with the family. I didn't have a slew of interesting conversation starters hidden in my back pocket or anything.

"No, they didn't." I mumbled, then quickly stepped aside and sent him a small smile. "Come on in, Flynn."

He grinned at me quickly before stepping into my house and shutting the door, then I led the way to the kitchen with my heart pounding in my chest.

When we entered, I felt three pairs of male eyes land on me, and cringed. One pair was filled with pure, malicious amusement, and that was Stan. I could just tell he was going to have fun tonight, and wondered how embarrassed I would be at the end of it. The second pair were two wary, grey eyes watching me curiously; Marley. And the third was dad's, his own pale green orbs gazing at me carefully, then flicking over my shoulder to settle on Flynn.