That's One Big Snake

Start from the beginning

“This monster will be easy enough to deal with, if I find him!” Lockhart bragged as Severus glared at him.  

“Her skeleton will remain in the chamber forever? Whose skeleton?” She asked as Minerva shook her head and looked down.

“Ginny Weasley,” she answered softly.

“Oh,” Ariella gasped as Severus put a reassuring hand on her shoulder. She suddenly turned to him with a secretive smile.

“Do you trust me?” She asked cryptically as Severus quirked at eyebrow at her question. He slowly nodded and she quickly pecked him on the cheek. Severus froze as Ariella turned and disappeared down the hall. He thought about following her, but quickly squashed the idea. She was a grown woman and he had no doubt that she could handle herself.

“Gilderoy, you are a master at destroying monsters! Surely you can deal with whatever’s doing this!” Filius Flitwick exclaimed as the other teachers vocalized their agreement. Before Lockhart could dissuade them, he was forced to retreat to his room and think of a plan.

“You have to come with us!” Harry and Ron stood in front of the crestfallen Lockhart with looks of pure desperation.

“I’m sorry boys, I can’t.” Lockhart muttered as he continued to frantically pack his things.

“Wait, you’re leaving? But we need you! You can destroy this beast!” Ron exclaimed as Lockhart shook his head.

“No, I can’t! I’m a fraud! Ah, now that you know I’ll have to…”

“I really wish you’d stop threatening people, Lockhart!” Ariella growled as she appeared in the room. The two second years turned to her in surprise as she easily disarmed the stunned man. She looked toward Harry and Ron with a frown.

“What are you two doing out at this hour?” She asked as Harry came toward her with a piece of paper.

“I think I know what’s in the Chamber of Secrets!” He answered as Ariella smiled softly.

“Indeed? What do you believe it is, Mr. Potter?” She questioned as he frowned.

“A basilisk!” He replied as Ariella nodded her head.

“I fear you’re right. However that is not all you know is it?” She inquired with a quirked eyebrow. She kept her wand steady on Lockhart’s immobile form. 

“I know where the Chamber of Secrets is,” Harry answered quietly as Ariella smirked.

“Take us. We’re going to end this, once and for all.”                                                                   

****

“I really hate that man,” Ariella snarled as she dusted her robes. She could hear Gilderoy rambling on the other side of the rocks he had caused to collapse. She turned to Harry and sighed.

“Let’s go. Miss Weasley’s life depends on it,” she encouraged as Harry nodded and led the way. Ariella kept a vigilant eye on her surroundings. She didn’t need a giant bloody snake killing her. She had lived too long to be killed by a snake.

“How come you knew so much about the Chamber, Professor?” Harry asked quietly as Ariella shrugged.

“I know a lot about Hogwarts. Most of it, I knew before I came here.  Some of it, I’ve learned over the years.” She answered as Harry frowned.

“You plan to battle the Basilisk, don’t you?”

“Of course. I’m far more capable of doing so.” She replied as she smiled softly. She could see the worry in his features.