Chapter One | You Look Like A Reece

Start from the beginning

"That was my next choice," I sighed, then got serious. "Sophie rang me at about one AM, asking if I could go pick her up from her boyfriends party. I agreed, and drove around to pick her up. When I got there, she was having an argument with Monica, the girl I apparently assaulted and I stepped in. Then..." I trailed off, remembering what had made me punch her. "She said some things."

"So you decided to punch her?" Flynn asked, and I tensed, shaking my head.

"No, it was a more of an impulse thing."

"What did she say?" He asked, leaning forward a little more. I glanced around the room, hesitating.

I didn't want to tell him. It was stupid, but to tell him about why I had punched Monica seemed like I was betraying my brother.

It was his burden, and I wasn't entitled to tell everyone who asked.

So instead, I leaned back, smiled, and replied with, "She called Sophie a slut. She deserved it."

Flynn narrowed his eyes, his jaw moving back and forth slowly. "I don't believe you." He said, and I tried to not look so annoyed as I looked back up.

"Why not?"

"Because you don't seem like the type of girl to punch someone because they called your friend a slut."

"How would you know what type of girl I am? You don't know me." I said, and Flynn leaned back himself, crossing his arms.

"I know right now that you're more nervous that you're letting on. I also know that when I was driving you were, you almost bit a hole through your lip, telling me you don't often experience dealing with the police, or for some reason, you're wary of them. And I know that you're not telling me the truth about why you really punched that girl tonight." Flynn said, and I felt my eyes narrowing with every word he said.

"Aren't you observant?" I muttered, glancing over his shoulder at the mirror again so I could avoid his eye contact.

"Do you have anyone you can call to come and get you and your friend?" Flynn asked, and I frowned, looking up at him.

"You're not holding me in? Pressing charges? Anything like that?"

"Well I can't do anything to you if the girl doesn't lay charges. Besides, you punched a girl in the eye because she was apparently being a bitch. If I had to arrest every girl who did that, this place would constantly be filled with teenagers." Flynn replied, standing up. "But if she does decide to, I'll have to see you again. I'm letting you off with a warning, this time."

"I'm not a teenager." I said, a little defensively, then blushed when his eyebrows rose the tiniest bit at my words. It was almost like I'd said them just to confirm that I wasn't a bratty little kid, to prove I was older.

"How old are you then?" He asked, seemingly genuinely curious.

"20. You don't look that much older than me either." I said, wishing my mouth would just stay closed. I grabbed my coat and followed him to the door.

"Maybe I'm not," Flynn murmured as he opened the door, waiting for me to go through. When I passed him, he turned slightly, and my shoulder brushed up against his chest. My breath hitched, and I quickly rushed out into the hallway, needing to get away from him, but wanting to stay a little closer.

It didn't make any sense to me. I couldn't have the hot's for him, he was a police officer. And he was older. And he was extremely good looking. And, I'd kind of just listed some of the points as to why I should have the hot's for him.

Blaming my stupid thoughts on the lack of sleep I'd had, I followed Flynn out to the front of the station, about to break the silence that had fallen over us when I heard the one voice I had been least excited to hear this whole time.