Chapter 2

My instincts kicked in, and I immediately dropped into a crouch. My fur bristled, knowing that maybe I had to move out, or else I was probably going to be driven out.

I padded closer to the kits, and I got startled as a shecat came out of a small rock den formed into the cavern.

The shecat's eyes were full of hostility. She looked confused though. "A-are you Gash? The cat.. sent from Talonstar?"

She examined my ruffled, dirty gray fur. My blue icy eyes were expressionless. "Huh?" I questioned.

The shecat's eyes were neutral now. "Ah. You must be Gash." She sat down.

I couldn't say no, or else my fur would be clawed off. This shecat looked fit and strong, too. I finally took a big sigh and nodded. "Yes. I'm Gash."

The shecat smiled. "GREAT! Now, you must take these kits to Talonstar."

I had questions first though and things to say. "Hope you don't mind, but where'd you get them?"

The shecat shook her head, looking down at her paws, feeling guilty. "I took them from other Clans. I had to steal them!" she cried. I opened my mouth to protest, but she continued, "Talonstar threatened to kill me. I had no choice."

I passed my tail on her shoulder, feeling bad. "Also, who is Talonstar, exactly?"

Her eyes were quickly clouded and she looked at me strangely. "Didn't he send you here? You must know who he is."

I quickly tried to cover up. "It took me a long time to get here, actually. I got in a battle and I guess I blacked out from a blow in the head. Luckily I survived but I forgot some things.." I took a big breath and hoped that she accepted it.

She narrowed her eyes and nodded. "Did Talonstar tell you my name?"

I shook my head. "Probably. Can you tell me? I must've forgotten."

The shecat replied, "My name is Kage. Used to be Falconmask."

"Falconmask?" I felt like the I recognized the name. Then I examined her closely. She was the cat I once knew! She was in my small group that I was in long ago..

Kage narrowed her eyes and tilted her head. "It was when I was in a clan." She licked her paw. "Then there was a longer story to that."

I sat down comfortably and nudged her to go on. I want to see if it really was the Falconmask I knew. Hopefully she doesn't figure out that I was one of the cats in the small group. My appearance is so different from how messy and plastered it is.

"Fine. At first I was a loner, and a very young one. Then this patrol of cats discovered me living throughout their territory, and they took me into their clan as prisoner. After a couple of days, they let me join the clan officially. It was rough, since it was hard to gain others' trust."