Weighing the Cost

Start from the beginning

Now Scott was at the top of the stairs, Derek abruptly tearing his lips away, "Scott's here." he stated, eyes widening a false panic.

"What?!" Stiles exclaimed, searching for an explanation on the wolf's face.

"Derek!" Scott called out as he approached the bedroom door, "I need your help, I can't find-" he stopped, a ghosting look present as he saw his best friend beneath Derek, "Stiles..."

He couldn't breathe, frozen as Scott looked at him in horror. Stiles pushed against Derek's chest, hinting that he should get off of him now. The boy sat up fast then gradually made his way to Scott, "Listen, I can explain."

"You can explain this?!" he inquired, angry pupils fighting against the animals rage.

"Stiles," Derek said cautiously as he too stood to his feet, "don't get too close to him."

The thought-scrambled teen didn't respond, he just swallowed while decreasing the speed of his steps, "I lied to you and I took Derek's deal, alright?"

Scott exhaled, breath like indignation took the form of smoke, "Why would you do that?"

"You had to learn how to control the shift, Scott." Stiles said, "There wasn't another option."

"Yes, there was!" replied the infuriated beta, "You didn't have to have sex with some creep we don't even know!"

"I didn't have a choice!" Stiles began to raise his voice as well.

Scott sucked in a hissed breath, rage swarming in his mind as the brown retinas advanced to gold. He growled, striking Derek's cheek to catch him off guard. A successful attempt indeed as Scott bunched up Derek's shirt in his fists, slamming the older wolf against his bedroom wall. It all happened so fast, Stiles nor Derek could do much, angry werewolves are always stronger.

Scott snarled, claws pressing into the skin of Derek's chest, "I swear to god if you made him do anything he didn't want to-"

"That's not what I meant!" Stiles interrupted, "I didn't have a moral choice. I couldn't let you risk hurting someone, it'd ruin you!"

"And this is what you call the right moral choice?" Scott scoffed, eyes glowing with judgement and disgust.

Derek was tired of it. No newborn teen werewolf was going to come up at him like this, after all, he still had his pride. Strong arms slipping between Scott's, Derek let out a growl, pushing hard against the younger's chest which sent him stumbling backwards. Grabbing Scott, Derek's eyes glowed a dominative blue, "Don't ever do that again." he snarled.

Wrinkling his lip, Scott silently challenged Derek, fangs emerging on both, "Stop!" Stiles exclaimed, daring to squeeze himself in between the feuding wolves. Scott glared as they both took a step back, Derek's fists clenching pugnaciously, "Derek!" Stiles said sternly, head shaking as he stood in front of his best friend.

The human boy knew that if Derek really wanted to harm Scott, he was perfectly capable. Being a werewolf your entire life is bound to be the match winner when against someone who was bit a week ago. Scott couldn't get hurt, not more than he already was. Stiles knew his friend, he saw his trust crumble within the reappearing brown eyes.

Stiles sighed in relief. The wolf wrestling match was postponed, that was a good sign. But what if he and Scott's friendship was ruined? The teenager turned to face his peer, looking at him in remorse, "Scott, I didn't-"

"No." the youngest beta silenced him, head shaking in disappointment, "I have no idea what you're doing with him and I don't think you do either." Scott glanced at Derek, squinting in suspicious vengeance, "Just be careful."

"Wait, Scott!" Stiles called after his friend, however, the newborn wolf was long gone. The boy's fingers ran angrily through his hair, wondering if Scott would ever forgive him.

Derek pressed his lips together, guilt outlining the shape of his face. He made the best decision, right? "Stiles," he began, walking slowly towards the stressed teen, "I didn't-"

"Don't touch me!" Stiles ordered, slapping away Derek's hand that was reaching for his. The wolf took a step back realizing that once again, he made the wrong choice, "You knew he was coming!"

Derek shook his head, wishing he hadn't gotten himself into this tangled web of lies, "No, I just-"

"Stop lying to me." the boy gritted his teeth, turning to walk out of the room, "I'm go gonna find Scott and don't try following me."

Derek closed his eyes, unable to watch Stiles leave him once again. How could he be so stupid- so blind? He just started caring for the wolf, why would he destroy it so quickly? Maybe, if what Stiles said he felt was genuine, things could work out. Maybe the boy wouldn't hate him forever. Derek looked up, dampening eyes shimmering from the sunset. A fool, that's what he was. Anger had been buried in Derek for years, some toward those who hurt him but mostly the rage was aimed at himself. He was so naive, so hopeful even though he really had nothing to hope for. Vexation was the wolf's only friend and it was the most loyal he'd ever had. Whatever slept inside him- excreted from his breath must've been toxic. It infected those close to Derek, causing them to keep their distance. Perhaps that's the way it'd stay, leaving the wolf all alone and nothing to fill his heart but ire and regrets.