Chuck nodded but looked up at me, wrapping his arms around me. "Be careful Clara."

I smiled down at him and nodded, hugging him tightly. "You too Chuckie. I'll see you on the other side."

My eyes met Newt's and I felt a pang of guilt for not telling him my plan ahead of time. I separated from Chuck and wrapped my arms around Newt's neck. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you but I'm not going to let you fight without me."

I felt his lips against my temple and his warm breath in my hair. "I know love. I understand. Just please be careful."

I pulled back and kissed him lightly as we still had nearly fourty gladers around us. "You be careful too." I looked around at the kids surrounding us. "Everyone watch your back, this isn't going to be easy. Fight as hard as you can and remember getting Teresa and Chuck through the griever hole is the priority."

"We've lost so many already, let's not lose anymore!" Thomas added, inspiring our group. We all turned our attention to him and got our weapons ready. "Just create a path for those two and fight the grievers. It's time we get out of here and show those shuck creators who we really are!"

We all cheered and Thomas led us towards the cliff. I had my machete and the pole I took from Chuck and ran right in front of Teresa and Chuck. Thomas started the fight, his own blade connecting with the griever closest to the hole. I followed his lead and a small gap opened. "Teresa, now!" I screamed out.

She nodded and pulled Chuck through the small gap with her. I hit the griever on my end with my machete again and watched as Chuck disappeared into the hole. I felt a weight lift off my shoulders as I knew he was going down the ladder to safety. I kept hitting my griever over and over hearing the sounds of battle all around me.

Thomas joined me and grabbed the pole, pushing the griever over the edge. We had no time to rejoice as the griever fell into the blackness and we both turned to help the others. I immediately went to Newt's side and together we pushed the griever over the edge after a few minutes of hitting it over and over. We shared a small smile before there was a loud shriek that filled the air. We both covered our ears as the sound rang through the air. The griever that made the noise seemed to come from the sky as it landed on Minho.

"Minho!" Newt yelled, running towards him.

Thomas pushed against the griever with the long pole and a few other gladers, including myself, helped him to push the griever off of Minho. Sweat dripped down our faces as we fought the beast in an effort to save Minho but none of us gave up. I was finally able to break one of the grievers legs and it lost it's balance, tumbling back. Thomas pushed it with the pole as Newt and I pulled Minho to his feet. The second Thomas pushed the griever over the edge five more dropped from the sky. We formed a line, shoulder to shoulder, and started backing towards the griever hole. I looked around and noticed we had lost a lot of gladers already and now we were trapped. There was blood and oil all over the ground and the stench of it made my eyes water and my heart ache.

The grievers towered over us, backing us closer and closer to the cliff.

"What do we do?" I yelled to Thomas, beside me. He shook his head and took a step forward, blocking me from the closest griever.

"Clara, I think it's time you go down and help Chuck and Teresa." Thomas said, glancing over his shoulder at me.

I shook my head and took a step forward. "No, I'm not leaving you guys."

"Clara, listen to Tommy. See what's taken them so bloody long. We'll be right behind you." Newt glanced at me and I could see the plea in his eyes.

"No! I can't!" My machete shook in my hand as the exhaustion flooded through me but I couldn't leave them. They were my family now and there was no way I could leave without them. The grievers took another step closer and we were all right on the edge of the cliff. I glanced over my shoulder and saw nothing but the black abyss below us.