The Calm Just Before the Storm

Start from the beginning

Duh. I am such an idiot. I knew that. “No John and I broke up awhile ago.” I teased. It was the only thing to came to mind. Clearly my brain was out for the rest of the night.

Zyler twirled me around and danced pretty decent for a guy across from me. He seemed to keep his distance; I couldn’t really read his emotions but he seemed to be having a good time. I could feel myself just wanting to be close to him, but I knew I shouldn’t. He’s unavailable. Don’t let yourself get caught up in him. This was going to be a Braveheart battle; I could already feel it. He spun me around with a flick of his wrist and my hips still rocked to the beat.

I sighed as the song changed to ‘Don’t You Wanna Stay by Jason Aldean and Kelly Clarkson’. Starting to walk back towards the bar, I was yanked back straight against Zyler’s chest. His hands wrapped warmly around my waist, as mine snaked up his chest and around his neck. I caught myself biting my lip and let it go, my cheeks getting warm.

“Thinking about John?” Zyler spoke is a tone that sounded completely seductive to me. Husky possibly.

I would have laughed if my brain was functioning, but currently it was completely intoxicated by him and the alcohol. It felt like his hands were burning through the layers of my dress and could feel my cheeks get even warmer.

“Lets take it slow I don’t wanna move too fast. Don’t wanna just make love I wanna make love last.” I sang softly, losing myself in the song.

He took the opportunity to swing me out for a twirl and pull me back in close. Looking up at him, he brushed some strands of hair out of my face, before cupping my cheek. I closed my eyes and nuzzled my cheek more into his palm. His touch is like curling up in a micro fiber blanket. Zyler placed a soft kiss against my other cheek and it made me smile.

------

I wasn’t avoiding anyone the last two weeks. I, well, I wasn’t trying to. My mother has been in the hospital, as she has gotten very sick. They didn’t know what was wrong with her. After further tests and evaluations, they found a cyst, unsure if it was cancerous or the extent of what was effected. Or, at least, that was what I could gather from all the expansive terminology that was thrown my way. I had told Lacee I was away for business, trying to acquire new clients. Obviously, not happy that I had to lie to her. She loved my mother like her own. I sat on a bench outside of the hospital, suppressing back tears, looking around at the palm trees that scattered the small court yard, before looking back to my phone. I’m sure I had looked at Lacee’s number the last fifteen minutes, before I finally pressed send.

“Chloe!” Lacee said happily through laughter, “Taaaaylor stop!” She giggled more.

“Lace…” I spoke soft and low. I could feel the tears pricking my eyes.

“Chlo…” Her laughter had stopped and I could hear her get further away from the voices, “Is everything okay?”

“It’s mom.” I spat out before letting my voice quiver off into a sob.

“Chloe.. What is going on?”

“She’s….. being…. prepped for surgery….. in like 5... hours.”

“What! I… Uh.. I will… I will be there as soon…. As soon as I can.”

Lacee hung up on me. Bitch. I couldn’t help but laugh at myself for thinking that. I stopped by a vending machine and bought my mom an Almond Joy, her favorite. Why me? Of all people? My mother has always been my rock, my best friend, my only parent. This was unfair and it made me sick to my stomach. I composed myself before entering her room with a smile, tossing her the candy bar.

Lacee came sneaking through the door like she had smuggled in a gun, closing it behind her suspiciously looking around. I was laying with my mom in her bed as we watched our favorite show that we always watched together, Army Wives.