Chapter Four

Mulai dari awal

Sally tried to convince herself it was because of her past, but she truthfully was scared senseless at the thought of ever being in bed with a man again. Matthew had been kind to her, but he used her just the same. Too bad she didn’t know it until that fateful day. Now he’d never know he fathered a child. Her tears turned into those of mourning for all he gave up when he’d turned her away like the loose woman she was.

Lottie startled her as she walked in the door. “Why you is cryin’, Miz Salleh?”

“No reason. Lots of reasons. Don’t spend a care on me!” Drying her tears, she forced out: “I’m fine. I promise.”

“If’n you says so. We’z gon make dinnuh. You need’n anythin’?”

“No, I’m not. Thank you, Lottie.” She took the young woman’s hand. “I do appreciate your friendship more than you know. Have you made a decision about working for the Banks family?”

Lottie nodded hesitantly. “I’z gon woirk fo ‘em. But, not stay at dey house jes’ yet. I don’ wanna leave you. You’z gon’ need me when dat baby come.” Sally looked at Lottie with her mouth gaping open in blatant disbelief.

“How did you know?”

“I’z young, not dumb. Besides, Mamma was gon’ have a baby a couple times, but it died befoe it got birfed. I was deya when she had ‘em. Dey’z bof was boys. Mamma died wifout havin’ anymoe.”

“Lottie, that’s so sad. You’re a great helper. I’m glad you figured it out, but for now, you, Mamie, Tom, and Buddy are the only people who need to know.”

“I won’t tell a soul.” She crossed her heart to solidify her promise. She spun quickly on her heel and ran out of the room. Sally heaved a heavy sigh and washed her face with the water from the basin. Waiting for Buddy to come back felt like an eternity, but she waited nonetheless. She didn’t even know if he’d be back today.

She meandered out to the dining area, hoping to find some peace and enjoyment with Lottie and the Pattersons. Mamie filled her in on the church service as much as possible, and, without naming names, some of the gossip as well. The town of coal miners was attracting families looking for more money, and it was growing. This meant more women would soon be settling in and would need help learning how to live in this wilderness of a town.

“What if we start sewing dresses?” Sally asked. “I’m pretty good with a needle. In fact, I made all of my own clothing once upon a time. We could have a dress shop.” Her eyes sparkled with the possibility of introducing commerce to the town.

“That’s actually a brilliant idea. We would have to order materials from Colorado Springs, Boulder, or Denver. Oh, I bet they have some wonderful fabrics for dresses. I’m good with a pattern.” Mamie’s face was alight with the notion of making dresses.

“I’z okay wif a needle mahself. I be happeh to hepp y’all.” Lottie beamed her beautiful grin.

“Of course, Lottie! We would need your help. I’ve got some money saved to help us get established. We can use it to get our shop started.”

“No, Sally. Use that money for … your needs. You will need it all too soon. Besides, we can start here and after we build our customer base, we can go find a shop.” Mamie insisted.

“You are right. This is brilliant. Do you have any fabric? We could bring our ideas together. Make our first samples.” Sally offered with a giant grin on her face.

“Let me check and see what I have after dinner.” Mamie continued eating her food. Sally and Lottie both quieted down as well, but every woman’s mind was turning ideas and thinking of ways to make this brainstorm a reality.

*****

Buddy wrestled with the idea of Sally’s impending parenthood. It hurt him more than he’d let on, but it had also happened prior to their friendship. When he was bluntly honest with himself, he admitted he was hurt that she didn’t want to tell him. Understanding her reasons didn’t assuage the pain that her lack of trust brought to his heart. The idea of marrying her was appealing. Whether or not Sally was ready to admit her feelings or not, he knew they were there and growing daily. But, a woman as delicate as she could not be rushed, and he’d wait for her like a true gentleman.

Closing his eyes briefly, he talked to his Savior in his mind and heart, asking for wisdom, and hoping for clarification. He was a learned man, but chose to live out West instead of following in the path of his father. His father and grandfather had both been preachers. Knowing Scripture at his home had been like breathing, and he turned to it often.

He opened, hoping for some guidance, to a book that he didn’t read often, though he knew it well: The book of the prophet Hosea. The prophet had been directed by God to marry a woman as a symbol of God’s love for the fallen people of Israel. She would later become a prostitute and run from him into another’s arms before finally being reconciled to him. The man’s life was a sad comparison to the story of the Chosen People. They were constantly turning to their own lusts, but their God never refused them. He always took them back.

Why was this story important? Sally wasn’t his wife, nor was she unfaithful to him. He would have his answers in the Father’s time, but he wasn’t sure he’d have the patience. Loving Sally was easy for him. Proving that love was a little more difficult, and convincing her seemed to be the most impossible task. He prayed for her before eating his noon meal: He prayed for himself, too.

*****

Just another couple of weeks and he could message Bill that they were almost finished with this phase of the project.

He still had another few days before he could reveal himself to Sally and subsequently sneak her back to Boulder. Sally, he knew, would not go willingly. She’d become quite a fighter lately. He’d have to find a way to convince her that it was for the best. Or, he’d have to kidnap her. But, this town was still too fresh from the trouble they’d had recently. Folks would be watching for something like that to happen again. It would have to look like Sally left: On her own. Run away from the pressures this town had placed on her. Maybe this town wouldn’t miss a prostitute. That deputy would, as would that older couple. The woman, especially, sweet as she appeared, could be mean as spitfire if a body crossed her. That boy almost got the business end of her frying pan.

He smiled at his progress, thanked the men who had been working on his newest business venture, and went back to his home away from home. The plan would all come together in the near future and then he’d be living the wonderful life of a tycoon.