Sophia stands rapidly and decides to run to her mother in law's house. She can't contain her happiness. The happiness of knowing that Adam had indeed written and not forgotten about her, and the happiness of him coming home at last, she had to share the news with someone. On her way to town, she finds Mrs. Lancaster's carriage, it halts at the side of the street.

"Sophia! Get in, we are going to organize a party," says a happy Mrs. Lancaster as she helps her in.

"A party? For whom?"

"For Adam! He's coming back in two, didn't he tell you?"

Sophia nods. "Right! A welcome back party?"

"Yes, now I was thinking to invite Adam's closest friends, they are so many to pick from though, but of course, the mayor has to attend and his son are automatically invited of course. Now for food . . ."

Sophia looks out the window, feeling as if the air was sucked out of her. She doesn't want Daniel there. She doesn't want him at her house, not at Adam's party, she doesn't want to relive anything that ever transpired with Daniel, she takes a deep breath, how can she tell Mrs. Lancaster that Daniel can't be invited?

҉ ҉ ҉

"Sophia? What are you doing here?" whispers Daniel as he shuts the door behind him.

Sophia not wanting to prolong the visit, replies. "Don't come to the party."

Daniel blinks stunned. "What party?" he asks.

"You know which one. I don't want you at the party, I don't want you in my house. Please don't come."

Daniel feeling belittled replies stubbornly. "I was invited by Mrs. Lancaster. It would be rude if I decline the invitation."

"But it's my husband's surprise party, and I don't want you there."

"Yes you do. Deep inside, you really want me there," he reaches for her hand but she pulls away rapidly looking around her nervously.

"Daniel, think about it, alright? Think about all the problems you will avoid by not attending. Please do the right thing," she finishes and starts down the steps, not wanting to look back.

"Hi there!"

Sophia freezes at the sound of a woman's voice, and turns around slowly.

"You must be the new Mrs. Lancaster," a beautiful woman around Sophia's age is walking towards her from behind the house, a bright smile on her face. "I'm Valerie, Valerie Smith, Daniel's wife."

Sophia's heart stops, she looks up to where Daniel stood, but Daniel had already gone inside. She was hoping she could avoid meeting Daniel's wife for a bit longer. "Oh," is all she can reply. Her hands start to sweat as she wonders if she knows about Daniel's past with her.

"I want to apologize for not attending your wedding, I heard it was a beautiful ceremony. I had some business elsewhere, but how I wished I could've gone."

Sophia watches her attentively. She was tall with beautiful long curly hair flowing in the wind, something Sophia wasn't accustomed to see in ladies so high up in society. Her bright blue eyes were very friendly and inviting, Sophia can't help but wonder why Daniel couldn't love her. From behind her, appears a maid holding a small child in her arms. Valerie follows her gaze.

"Oh, this is Daniel the Third," she says as she takes the boy in her arms. "He's my special boy."

Sophia tries a smile, he looks so much like his father, so much so that Sophia was finding it hard to breathe. "Well, he's an adorable boy," she comments.