Lowell's Gate

Hugh stopped his car in front of the Lowell Observatory security gate and reached into his jacket pocket to get his security pass, but he couldn't find it. He was about to reach into his other pocket when he remembered that he had forgotten to pick up his pass from the dining table where he had left it the night before.

Lowering the driver side window, he pressed the intercom. The security camera mounted on the wall behind the gate turned in his direction. "This is Dr Manhattan. I left my security pass at home," Hugh said.

Rubbing his temple to relieve his headache, he thought about the vivid dream he had last night.

Jeff, a member of security personnel on duty, looked at the screen in front of him, zooming the outside camera to get a closer look at the driver. Although he recognised Hugh, he had to enter the vehicle's registration number into his computer to get a confirmation before he could open the gate. The computer found a match and displayed Hugh's personal information on the screen. Hugh Manhattan, Age 42, astrophysicist, years of service, 16.

Jeff opened the boom gate and stepped out of his office.

Driving past the boom gate Hugh stopped his car by the security office to greet Jeff, and get his temporary access card.

"Good morning Dr Manhattan, here is your temporary pass for today. Please sign here." Jeff handed over the security logbook to Hugh to sign.

"I hope I didn't cause too much trouble. I left my pass at home and didn't realise till I got here," Hugh said, returning the signed logbook.

"Not a problem and sorry that it took a while to open the gate," Jeff said, leaning closer towards driver window he whispered, "you know how it is with the new security routines. Those executives from the space mining are very particular about who gets access to the observatory."

Nodding his head Hugh tried to stay nonchalant to avoid prolonging this conversation.

"I understand. Thanks Jeff."