Faster Than Light, pt 1

Captain's log: Star date 41578.5.
We are called to battle once more. The Vengeance is being launched straight into a firefight consisting of the Star Fleet Federation and the Ta'ka: a race who's ships are better than ours. The Treaty does not affect them, so, they attack us whenever they like. However, they do not go into or past the Neutral Zone. They must not be up to good, then. Zexon out.
***
"Look out!"
"Missile incoming!"
"Shields at 5%, sir!"
"All ships, come in!" the captain of the U.S.S Galaxy-S, the ship that is originally patrolling the LZ-2428 Zone and who called for help, calls all their reinforcements.
"Vengeance here," I say. "What are the orders.
"Fall back!" the Galaxy commands as it heads through warp.
"Allison, set a course for the Neutral Zone," I say. "Warp 9."
"Yes captain," she says. "Shields 1%, and warp." Again, the stars surround us.
The Vengeance is faster than any Federation ship ever created. Once at warp, the bridge lets out a sigh of relief.
"Well, we let them have what they could," Geoff says as he leans back in his chair. "There were too many of-"
"Captain!" Joice interrupts.
"What is it, lieutenant?" I ask.
"I'm getting a reading I don't understand..." the console beeps as if something is gaining. I feel my eyes widen.
"Oh shit," I say as the Vengeance rocks violently.
"We're taking fire!" Maria panics. "Shields are at 0.1%!"
How is this possible?! I wonder as I can only watch as my ship's shields go offline.
"Red Alert!" I order, but it's too late. The ship's engines have already been taken out, and she's spinning out of control, outside the warp tunnel, and into the middle of nowhere.
"Allison," I say. "Where in the universe are we?"
"I don't know, sir," she says, looking frightened.
"We seem to be somewhere unknown, unexplored..." Joice chimes in.
"Something's coming, captain!" Allison says. "It's coming fast!"
"Get the cannons and phasers armed," I order Maria.
"Sir, there is major hull damage, and many turrets are offline," she replies, sounding a little annoyed and disappointed.
"Fuck," I mutter as I stare into blank space. Then, a Ta'ka cruiser, a ship that is about 5 times as big as the Vengeance, appears right in front of us.
"Maria," I say. "How many cannons are online?"
"Our main cannons are still functional, many disk turrets are not. Out of the 50, only 10 are operable. Sorry to break it to you, sir," Maria says sadly.
"Sir!" Allison cries. "We're being hailed."
I swallow what pride I had, and say my least favourite words to any hostile.
"On screen."
The viewer changes to a freakish image of a creature with the head of a bird, except it's beak is extended a couple inches and is lined with teeth. The rest of the body looks human.
"I am Za'ull. We are the Ta'ka," it says. "We have your ship destroyed. We will board your vessel and take your crew."
"Unacceptable!" I argue back. "You have no right to board this vessel!"
The thing laughs. "You are not in the neutral zone, captain," it says. "You are our captives."
"We are not!" I say. The transmission is cut.
"How much farther to the Neutral Zone?" I ask Joice.
"278000 kilometers from the Zone's edge, sir," Joice says, her voice shaky.
"Engineering, how does the core look?" I ask.
"Engineering here," a voice responds. "It's not looking good. We can go up to Warp 3, but that's it! Anything above and the core dies!"
"Allie, contact Star Fleet," I order.
"Comms are down, sir," she says.
I rub my hand down my face. Then, I give an order I regret.
"Fire on the ship, destroy all boarding ships," I hesitate while saying.
Maria sighs. "Aye, sir," she says as the streaks of red fly into the Ta'ka's ship. However, their shields deflects the lasers off.
"We're being hailed!" Allison says. Before I can give the order to display the hail, the image of Za'ull appears on the viewer.
"Big mistake, Tiberius," he says as I am stuck looking at the cruiser again, it's size and shape fascinating to most, deadly to all.
"Captain," Joice nervously says. "There's a power fluctuation. It looks to be-"
Her words are cut short when the sight of a cube, about 354 feet all directions, lined with Ta'ka warheads, comes into view.
"Goddamn," I hear Geoff say as he knows what I'm thinking: we're going to die out here!
"Maria, get a signal locked on," I shout as I dare not take my eye off the viewer.
"I can't," is the response I get. "It won't let me!" I sigh. There goes such a great ship, I think. And all my money.
"They're firing!" Allison screams as a warhead flies out of it's chamber, right at us.
"Target and fire," I order as soon as I see the thing. Immediately, the cannons are firing again, and I'm baffled. The missile is evading the shots!
"Impact," Joice says as the ship lurches forward, shooting me halfway across the bridge.
"Boarding party, hanger," Maria says.
"Let's meet them," I smirk as I head to my office.
***
Captain's log: Star date 41578.6.
I fear that this may be my last entry for my time aboard the U.S.S Vengeance, for the Ta'ka have boarded this ship and are hunting down each of the crew; women, men, anyone and anything. However, Za'ull has not hurt anyone. I have a feeling that he's going to obliterate the ship entirely, leaving me and anyone else on it. Things are not looking promising for me. Anyways, this could be my final log entry, so, farewell Star Fleet. I hope I and this ship have served you well. Zexon out.
***
"The missile hit the Tower, sir," Maria says.
"Boarding parties," Allison says, scared. "Lots of them. Unarmed."
The last part shocks me. Why come with no guns? I don't sit down. I stand. I need to be alert. Suddenly, three figures beam on the bridge. The bridge crew is surprised, and they all draw their phasers except for me. Once they materialize, I can see that the middle being is Za'ull.
"Welcome aboard," I say, hopefully sounding cheerful to mask my hate, disgust and shock. "This is a surprise to us all." I smile plastically, hoping it'll fool them.
Za'ull and the other two Ta'ka look around the bridge. I cannot tell if their faces show surprise, disappointment, or both.
"I have to say," Za'ull says, a clicking noise coming from his throat every time he says a word, "for such a ship, the bridge seems... small. But, it is just me."
"What is it that you wish from us?" Geoff asks, demanding an answer so quick to a species so dangerous.
"Ah, First Officer Odonnel," the creature somehow knows his name. "We want your co-operation."
"That's all?" I state, confused. "Then... why did you destroy my ship and are taking my crew?"
The Ta'ka seems to grin. "We need it so seem as if we have captured you. To prove," he says.
"So you launch an attack on a Federation ship who meant no harm, and to many more, killing so many people?" Maria shouts, anger cutting through each word. "If you needed it, why didn't you say so?"
The Ta'ka in the right takes a step forward, ready to tear my head security chief to pieces, but Za'ull stops it.
"Because your Federation harmed us first," he says, and with that, the whole bridge crew and the Ta'ka are beamed onto the Ta'ka cruiser.
*
"Let me show you to your quarters," a female Ta'ka guides me across the ship's winding halls, passing by most, if not all, of the crew of the U.S.S Vengeance, each one looking either angry, happy, or neither. As I get farther from the majority, I am guided to a large doorway. The door opens, and inside the room, it seems alien compared to the ship. Instead of it being dark and gloomy and full of death and destruction, the quarters are a light shade of blue, there is a window looking out at the stars, and all the other types of little goodies found on a Federation ship, even a pretty large bathroom.
"Make yourself feel like home," she says. "If you wish to go back to your ship for a couple of things, let one of us know. Your ship is in the repair bay." With that, I am left alone. I look at the bed. It already has my multiple uniforms folded as if I just got them. I put them in one of the drawers, and flop down on the bed, and go to sleep.
*
I am back on Earth, except I don't remember it. I am holding a rifle close to my chest. My goggles are picking out enemies easily. I find the nearest piece of cover, and duck. What the hell is going on, I wonder as I find an enemy and start pulling the trigger, the gun not failing as the shots it its target. Federation one-manned air assault ships fly overhead, firing at another ship. I must be dreaming the training sim, I think as I look at the scenery behind me. Skyscrapers are either crumbled, or left standing, fire protruding out of huge holes made by something. It didn't take long for me to realize who I'm up against. Around a dozen Romulan D'Derix-Class cruisers and five dozen Hegh'Saq-Class cruisers filled the sky all around the battlefront. Thousands of the Bird of Prey star fighters fired down on our troops. As I peak out once more, I see Maria, killed via a shot to the head, blood slowly streaming from the wound and through her black hair. I see Geoff stand up, and he fires into the oncoming onslaught of Romulan troops. A bullet passes through his shoulder, then through his head. I get back behind my hiding place when a powerful grip lifts me up. Scared, I am peering into the eyes of Nero.
"Pathetic human," he says as I can only feel my neck break, and nothing more.
*
I shoot awake, Allison standing at my doorway.
"Captain," she says worryingly. "Are you alright? You were... talking about the Romulans..."
I rub my eye, and look at her. "I'm fine," I say. "Just a dream."
"Za'ull would like to see you on the bridge," she says as she walks away. I get up, put on a fresh uniform, and try to find my way to the bridge. I look around the halls. My crew is restless. Many of them look like zombies; their eyes red beyond comprehension. They must not trust them, I think as I stroll the the lift.
I wish I spoke whatever language the Ta'ka did, because my ride would be a lot easier to understand. I push the top button, assuming it's correct. Suddenly, the elevator flies up, sending me to the ground. I hear the doors open, and I'm shocked. I'm not at the bridge, but rather overlooking the Vengeance, her hull really banged up. I step forward, pressing my face up against the glass like a child seeing his favourite toy. I can see little sparks of electricity as so many Ta'ka try to repair their damage.
"We are working tirelessly to get your ship repaired, Tiberius," Za'ull walks up from behind me, and I nearly jump out of my uniform. I turn around to greet him.
"Thank you, sir," I say. "She means a lot to me."
"Our technology is more advanced than your ship's," Za'ull says matter-of-factly. "However, we have installed some of it in your engines, so your ship is now faster than before."
"Damn, thanks," I say as I break out into a smile. "What did you want to see me about?"
"I want to talk to you about a deal," he says. "And it can determine whether you win the War or not."
"What are the conditions," I say, looking at my ship, the sleek black exterior making the Vengeance deserve her name.
"We will help the Federation with weapons, trade routes, and our undying services for our home planet back."
"Home planet..?" I try not to sound confused, but I do.
"The planet you call TKW-18875 is actually called Ztha'nama. In our language, it's known as 'the Giver of Life, Rewarder of Rewards, and Bringer of Death'. The mineral you want so badly is plantaniun, one of the strongest metals known to humans. Give us our planet in exchange for our undying services."
I want to say no, for them damaging my ship and killing my crew, but, I think about Star Fleet and the War, and say, "Yes."
"Thanks," Za'ull says as he puts a mask over my mouth, and I feel myself being put to sleep slowly.
*
I wake up in my chair on the Vengeance, along with the rest of the crew.
"Where's the Ta'ka?" Geoff says as he looks at the main viewer. I follow his gaze. The monstrous ship has just disappeared! I could've sworn we were on the ship just a little bit ago.
"Sir," Joice says, looking at her console. "All the ship has been repaired from the battle. Engines are restored and ready to go."
"Sir, the disk cannons are back online," Maria says.
So they kept their promise, I think as I stare at the endless stars.
"Sir, there's a transmission from Star Fleet," Allison says. "It seems urgent."
"On screen," I say as I lean forward. This has to be good.
The image of Admiral Fredric March appears, distress on his face. "Attention all Star Fleet personnel," he says. "There has been Romulan activity near the Neutral Zone. They have destroyed a couple stations, and all active and inactive ships are being sent. Admiral out."
Oh my god, I think as I sit back in my chair as the Vengeance rockets towards the Neutral Zone.