“Why you-”

“Eva!” Gabriel cut her off. His voice was nearly a snarl.

Eva stopped mid-step, her eyes flicking to him.

“Get out of here.” Gabriel snapped, coolly and dismissively. Eva hesitated, looking slightly hurt. Again, I felt a twisted sense of satisfaction that he was hurting her in some way. I wasn’t normally a vindictive person but I had never wanted to throttle someone so much in my entire life. My Wolf was practically begging me to let her out – to tear Eva apart.

But I couldn’t. Because that would just prove that she’d gotten to me.

“But-” Eva started, but a threatening growl emerged from Gabriel’s chest.

“I said get the FUCK out!” He snarled at her and Eva flinched, quickly lowering her head and scurrying towards the door. Before she opened it, though, I called after her. I couldn’t help myself.

“You will never deserve Will as a Mate,” I said lowly, my voice dripping with venom.

A flicker of shock crossed Gabriel’s expression and he turned towards the redhead, who had paused after opening the front door.

“You found your Mate?” He asked incredulously. There was anger in his voice and instantly my stomach plummeted. Was Gabriel upset because he didn’t want Eva to have a Mate – because he wanted to have her all to himself? My Wolf snarled at the thought.

“Y-yes…well, I-I-“ She stammered. I had never seen Eva this flustered. I could tell she didn’t want to tell Gabriel the truth about Will but didn’t want to lie to him, either.

“You found your MATE and you’re sitting around HERE?”

Now I was completely confused as to why he was angry.

“I didn’t want to…I mean, I never wanted…” Eva trailed off, blue eyes wide as she took in Gabriel’s livid expression.

“You’re fucking telling me that you found your other half, your one true Mate, and instead you are wasting your time trying to sabotage MY relationship with MINE?”

I stared at my Mate in disbelief. Now, he seemed furious that Eva wasn’t going after Will. While I was glad that this was the reason Gabriel was angry, it completely befuddled me. I had never expected him to be pissed off on Will’s behalf.

“I don’t want a Mate!” Eva replied shrilly. She had backed away until she was standing half outside, half in the threshold. “You know that, I’ve always told you that! I thought you understood!”

“Maybe I would have understood once. But now, I know what it’s like to find my Mate. What it’s like to be given a chance. You’ve been given the most precious thing you will ever have, and you are turning it away for some pathetic and selfish reason.” Gabriel’s tone was devoid of emotion, his countenance dark and intimidating. I was not used to him being so forthright. I could feel a blush rising on my cheeks as I realized that, in some convoluted way, Gabriel was standing up for me. He’d called me ‘the most precious thing’. It didn’t ease the sense of betrayal I felt, but it proved that he was at least capable of some sort of emotion when it came to me.

My Wolf was turning circles in my head, the hurt still radiating off of her in waves. I tried to push the thoughts of Gabriel and Eva aside. I wanted to rush up into my room, collapse on my bed, and cry. Perhaps that’s what I would have done a long time ago. But not now. I was sick of letting Gabriel’s every move get to me so easily.

“Get out,” Gabriel was snapping at Eva, and this time there was a Command in his tone as he spoke. The redhead backed away, shooting me a furious glare, but Gabriel slammed the door roughly in her face before she could say anything.