Chapter Four: Bliss

Start from the beginning

"Why don't you?" Lance shoots back.

"Fight, fight, fight," Eileen is standing next to Nick, balancing on his shoulder so she can jump up and down.

"Don't do anything stupid," Blake says. He sounds less fuzzy than everyone else and I think he's staying mostly sober so he can drive back. His voice sounds like tea though.

"Heh, you're so British," I blurt.

"Let's throw down, white boy!" Savannah says to Lance before taking a swig of the bottle she's holding. Eileen is still chanting fight.

"Thanks, so much, Anna," Blake says, he's standing now, there's grass on his sleeves.

"You're so welcome," I reply. For some reason I keep glancing at Nick.

"Hold my shit, Lay," Savannah takes her jacket off and hands the bottle to Layla who fumbles with both things; she's got a joint in her mouth.

"Fuck off, Sav," Layla says, dumping Savannah's jacket on the ground.

"Let's go, Savannah, I'm ready," Lance is smiling and I edge just a bit closer to Blake. He's very tall and smells nice. Like papayas.

"Cold?" Blake says to me. I nod. He puts his arm around me. How nice. His sweater is really warm and he's reminds me of climbing under covers and hiding.

"You're like a buncha blankets," I tell him. Blake's arm is around my shoulders and my hands around him. I wonder if Nick has noticed.

"Thanks," Blake rubs my arm with his hand. Did Nick notice that at least? I'm not sure what I'm doing, maybe trying to make him jealous.

Lance and Savannah are facing each other in the park, she's got a new song playing on her phone, the sound leaves her back pocket.

"I can't hit a girl, guys," Lance says after a moment.

Eileen pouts. I'm hugging Blake. I can't see Nick from my angle but I hope he sees.

"Fucking baby," Savannah shouts at him. "I'd hit you if you were a girl."

"But you won't hit me since I'm a guy? That's so sexist."

"You can't be sexist towards men," I shout out.

"Whatever," Lance waves everyone off. He's drunk. "You guys know shit."

"Choke, Lance," Layla scowls.

I laugh into Blake's chest. Okay, Nick must have seen that at least.

"Nick went to the swings," Eileen says, getting on the ground. She lies on her back. "Goodbye, Nick, so far away. Wow, these stars are fucking great though."

"You see this shit?" Savannah looks up.

I don't follow their gazes, instead I'm looking around for Nick. I wanna go to the swing set.

"I'm going to check on Nick," I tell Blake. He nods and lets me go off without any sort of protest.

As I go up to the swing set, I can see Nick's silhouette on the swing. He's sitting, swaying slightly.

"Hi," I jump out from behind him. He grabs my waist and yanks me down to sit in his lap. I lose balance for a moment and I think we might fall but he balances us out.

"Hi," He says back.

"Hi," I say again, because I really don't know what else to say, I feel like I really am a bomb about to go off.

"Wow, you're really drunk," He teases, smiling.

"I am, maybe not as drunk as you may want to think."