Crazy Enough: Chapter 6

Start from the beginning

Corkie wasn't sure how much she should divulge at the moment, but she figured...what the hell. "Yes, I've known Ivan for a while now. Sophia married my brother."

Marta's eyes narrowed instantly. "Sophia? Is that...isn't that his daughter?" she asked calmly.

Corkie tipped her head to the side, studying Marta. Alex, so far, had not said anything else, but he was watching both women carefully, dissecting every word and nuance of body language. Corkie had a feeling he would question her about this later.

And suddenly, Corkie smiled. "I'm afraid you won't be able to fool me, Marta...you look just like her."

Marta sighed heavily. "Let's talk in my room."

Corkie turned to Alex. "I'll be back later. Why don't you go and...enjoy yourself," she suggested.

He perked his ear to the sound of a giggling female from somewhere in the house. And he frowned. "I'd rather not."

"Surely, you can set aside your job for a few minutes. Go have some fun," Corkie said sweetly, teasing him, although the idea of him partying with any other woman irritated her, but she didn't own him. He could do what he wanted.

Alex's jaw clenched. "I don't pay."

Marta, hearing their small exchange, grinned and winked at him. "The girls work for themselves, so I do cannot dictate their charges, but two young ladies here owe me a favor."

"Thank you...but no," he replied sternly. He glanced at Corkie, saw her impatience for him to leave her alone with Marta for a while, and grunted. "But I could use a bath and something to eat, if it's not too much trouble."

"I think we can manage that," Marta said. They walked into the kitchen, which was empty, save a dog laying in a corner. Marta called out and two lusciously-endowed senoritas bounded into the room. "This is Mia and Clara...they will take care of you."

Mia and Clara smiled identical smiles at Alex, raking him from head to toe with dark eyes, and nodded as Marta gave them instructions.

"How long will your chat take?" Alex asked Corkie, obviously appreciating the new arrivals.

"I promise not to go anywhere," Corkie said, scowling at him. "We need each other, remember?"

Then Alex was whipped away by the two girls, and Corkie stood, pursing her lips at his departure. For all his insistence on not participating in the house's activities, he seemed quite happy to leave with those two. Maybe he changed his mind. They were pretty...and blessed with what God gave females. It wouldn't be the first time Corkie had seen a guy go gooey-eyed over a pair of perfect breasts. And Alex had followed two pairs. He was probably groping them right now and trying to figure out how to squeeze four melons at the same time...the pig.

He never looks at my breasts, she groused to herself and then frowned, because that was such a stupid thought. Alex didn't like her. He scowled or frowned every time he so much as glanced at her. Hell, he saw me naked just this morning, and nothing. Not even a smile of appreciation.

Corkie looked down at her chest. Okay, so she wasn't enriched with more curves than she needed. God stuck her in the brains and bravery category that day he was handing out boobs. But Alex didn't like her cleverness or her spunk either. He just didn't like her period, and that kind of hurt her feelings.

What's wrong with me?

After Alex left, Marta's smile softened. "How is Sophia? She's...twenty-six now?"

"Twenty-seven," Corkie answered, turning back to Marta. "She just had a birthday."

A distant light entered Marta's eyes. "Yes...it's becoming more and more difficult to remember that day."