Simply Irresistible

Start from the beginning

The oven knobs were a little more complicated than he expected. He turned one experimentally and frowned. "See, this is why you need me to teach you how to bake," he heard a voice say behind him. "You can't even turn the oven on."

"I can too," Blaine protested. He turned around and raised an eyebrow. "That's your baking ensemble?"

Kurt glanced down at his black tank top and dark wash jeans. "I tend to get…a little messy when I bake," he said. He brushed past Blaine and expertly turned the knobs on the oven. "There. Can't you even preheat properly?"

"I could probably figure it out on the oven at my house," he protested.

Kurt smiled and patted him on the cheek. "I'm sure you could, darling," he said. "Now get me the 8" round cake pans from the drawer under the stove, please."

Blaine yanked the drawer and rummaged through it as Kurt pulled out a mixer. "Is this what I'm looking for?" he asked, holding up two round metal pans.

"Mm? Oh, perfect," Kurt said. He opened the refrigerator, stuck his head inside, and mumbled something.

Blaine straightened and grinned. He crept over and drew the hem of Kurt's shirt up his back. "Looking for something, babe?" he asked, kissing lightly up his spine with his hands firm on Kurt's hips.

Kurt shivered. "Ooh, that tickles," he said. He batted at Blaine's hands. "I think I have the ingredients for a strawberry cake."

Blaine wrapped his arms around Kurt's waist. "That sounds good," he said.

Kurt straightened and squirmed a little in Blaine's arms, trying to tug away. "With strawberry preserves in the middle," he said.

"Fine with me," Blaine said. He tucked his chin against Kurt's shoulder, still holding him tightly.

"And chocolate ganache frosting," Kurt mused.

"Whatever you pick, I don't care," Blaine said. He kissed the soft skin under Kurt's ear.

Kurt squeaked. "You can't do that," he said, smacking playfully at Blaine's hands. "Not when I'm trying to bake things. You're a distraction."

Blaine followed him across the kitchen. "I'm your favorite distraction," he said.

"But a distraction nonetheless," Kurt said, tapping his finger against the tip of Blaine's nose. "Now, grease and flour the pans."

"Do what?" Blaine said.

Kurt handed him a spray can of cooking oil. "Spray this into the pans, then cover them with flour," he instructed. "It's not that hard, I promise."

Blaine fumbled with the cap. "I'm not buying it," he warned. "This seems sort of tricky."

"Then you may not touch my mixer," Kurt said, lugging the large sunshine yellow mixer from its corner of the counter.

Blaine struggled to prepare the two cake pans. He kept glancing out of the corner of his eye at Kurt, who was deftly measuring flour and sugar with the precise air of someone who had done this many times before. Kurt barely glanced at the recipe card propped up by the sugar canister.

"Is this one of your favorite recipes?" Blaine asked.

"One of them," Kurt said absently as he poured melted butter into the mixing bowl and turned on the beaters. "You can never go wrong with a strawberry cake." He paused. "Oh! I forgot. Can you get the strawberries out of the fridge and dice about half a cup for me, please?"

"Sure," Blaine said, dusting the flour off his hands. He got the berries out of the fridge and pulled out a small plastic cutting board, and he was just about to start cutting them when Kurt shrieked. Blaine dropped the small paring knife. "Oh my god! What's wrong! Are you all right?"