The Wild Road (Chapter two)

The next day I went to the department store to get some food with my mother. There was going to be a huge festival party for new years tonight at her home.

My mom smiled towards me as she picked up a can of beans and placed it into her basket. She kept wondering around and looking for food she could make and prepare quickly.

While she was busy with that, I left her to go wonder the streets. I knew that we were heading to see James after shopping (Which by the way I seriously could careless for). He was my mother’s boyfriend. James, I guess, was okay.  I just hated the fact that he was trying so hard to be my father. Though I knew that the cold hard truth was James was also after the money we had. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was the outlaw.

Sherriff Roger was leaning onto a building scanning the area when he spotted me. Roger climbed onto his horse and trotted over towards me.

“Where’s your mother? What you doing out here where its not safe?” he scowled me.

Rolling my eyes I motioned to the department store, “She’s buying food for tonight, and I would rather wait for her out here.” I gave him a warm smile and soon heard my mother’s voice from behind me.

“Is there anything wrong Roger?” She asked and placed her hand onto my shoulder.

He grunted, “You seem to not care about your safety Elizabeth, or your daughters.” He sighed, “Your husband was the same way and that’s how he died.”

I glared up at him. My father was brave and cared for us, making sure that we were safe before he thought about himself. He was smart and knew that his safety was at risk. Though he did stay away from town as much as possible everytime an outlaw was announced.

The one time that my father was not caring about his safety was when we both were practicing shooting in the woods.

We had sat down and started having a usual conversation while we hydrated ourselves. For a while, it seemed so peaceful and out of harms way when my father started to tell me to hide behind the bushes and that he was starting to hear things.

I did as he told but it was the worst moment of my life. Three men appeared from the trees. One that looked about three years older than me, an older man maybe 30’s and the last one looked about twenty-five.

Sixteen at the time, I didn’t want to believe what was happening. I couldn’t see the men’s faces because of their hats shadowing their eyes and bandana’s covering their faces.

They shot my father three times when he refused to give them what they wanted and they left. I still blame it all on myself and Roger had no right to talk about my father like he was some weak boar.

My mouth opened to protest but my mother began before I could, “Sherriff, we are aware that are life’s are at risk but that can’t stop us from our regular day living. We are being careful and that’s why we shop now when everyone’s out.”

Roger was taken aback by mother’s remark. He then cleared his throat and said, “Well, just be careful. I will be at your house tonight for the party to watch over and protect you two.” He then pulled his horse’s rein and went about his business like usual.

“Finally. He was beginning to crack my last nerve.” My mom grunted as we walked the pathway towards James’s home.

I chuckled at my mothers growling attitude towards Roger. He had no right to talk about my papa that way.

We finally arrived to James’s house and I rolled my eyes at the sight of him. He ran over grabbing my mother by her waist and spinning around. She laughed, “James! The food is going to fly out of the basket.”