Chapter 9 - Games with brothers make the best deals

Start from the beginning

On this side of the hall, people sat and talked, or played pool and relaxed. Next door, the music was louder, the dance floor wide and the bar open late. He and the boys were the only ones playing pool tonight, tucked into the back corner where it was quiet and private.

Blake was getting up for his turn when he saw her. Jaxi breezed in the doorway, pale blonde hair floating around her head.

"Sweet mercy, angel entering the room." Jesse breathed out the words in mock ecstasy.

She did look like an angel. For the past couple of weeks, Jaxi had worn plain jeans or jean shorts with cotton shirts. She'd pulled her hair into a sensible ponytail while she cooked and canned and worked around the house with his ma.

Tonight her sundress consisted of layers of flimsy material that lifted and floated in different directions as she sashayed forward. The clinging top left her smooth shoulders bare, the scooped neckline revealing deep cleavage of pearly pink skin. The fluttering layers of the skirt slid over her smooth legs, stopping well above her knees. The whole thing was cut from shades of yellow and gold, making her glow like a ray of sunshine.

Jesse rushed forward to greet her. Blake bit back a growl as his brother took her hand and placed it under his arm to escort her to their table, his lips tight to her ear as he spoke. Jaxi's gaze flicked to Blake for a brief second before she laughed at Jesse, then turned to beam at Joel and Leo.

"Evening, boys. I was looking for Lindy but I've been told she's gone for the weekend. Mind if I join you instead?" Jaxi leaned in and kissed Leo's cheek, and Blake's arms jerked as he held himself back.

So much for a relaxing evening with the boys.

"Leo, I haven't seen you in forever. Where've you been hiding?" Jaxi stood close, her hands resting on Leo's arm. Blake turned away and retrieved his beer. At this rate he would need another one pretty damn quick.

"It's been busy at the shop lately. And you know, well, Cari and me..." Leo grinned at her. "I owe you one. Big time. Can I get you a drink?"

"Whoa there, stud," Jesse teased. "You've already got yourself a woman. I'll get Jaxi her drink. What'll you have, sweetheart?"

"Any you boys drinking draft tonight?"

"Joel and I are," Jesse volunteered.

"Can I join you?"

Jesse grinned from ear to ear and twirled her in his arms as if they were on the dance floor, snuggling her tight against his body. "I thought you'd never ask."

Jaxi slapped his shoulders as she laughed up at him. "Jesse, I swear. You've got the dirtiest mind. Get me a beer and get on with your game."

"Yes, ma'am." Jesse dropped a quick kiss on her nose before he let her go.

Blake stared at Jaxi. She was deliberately flirting with the twins and ignoring him, like she'd done since Wednesday. He couldn't believe she would taunt him. She wouldn't dare follow up on the challenge she'd thrown and fool around with the twins just to spite him.

Would she?

"Ma all right alone tonight?" Blake kicked himself even as the words escaped.

Jaxi did a slow rotation toward him, her face flushed. "No, Blake, she had a pounding headache, a pile of laundry to fold and just before I left I set a swarm of wasps loose in the house." She strode over and hopped up next to Joel on the table, her skirts flaring out to brush his thigh. Joel raised his eyebrows at his brothers, then took a long, slow look along the length of exposed leg next to him, smiling with appreciation.