Chapter 1

A mistake. What exactly is a mistake? Who defines the relevance of that mistake? Everyone I had known would have said that I made a mistake. But was it really?

 I turn to look beside me. I guess it was a morally wrong thing that I did. But there isn't anyone left to judge that anymore that holds any importance to me.

 I stiffly lift myself out of the bed and look for my scattered clothing. I don't remember anything from last night at all. But that doesn't matter since it seems like the last 3 years have been at a loss to me. 

Once I've put on my clothes and gathered my belongings, I turn and look at the stranger who I had shared the night with. Dark tousled hair covered his head with dark stubble shading across his jaw, the top of his lean and muscular shoulder peeking out of the sheets. If I wasn't so broken inside I would have called him handsome and if I wasn't so relevant to everything I would have liked to know him more. Surprising myself I lean over him and place my lips on his cheek. 

A good bye kiss. 

As I open a door I can feel a slight tugging at the pit of my stomach. I was longing for him in a way I have never before. But why? I look back at him as I hear a noice coming from his direction. I wonder for a moment what would happen if I stayed until he awoke. No, that's not an option. If I stay, there might be a possibly that he may be apart of my life. And that can't happen because at the end he will get taken away from me. Just like everything else in my life. 

I rush out and breathe in fresh air. Without looking back I hail a cab and leave the night behind. For good.

----

"Please, be my partner for today!" Gale asked dramatically pulling an agonized face as if he would die if I didn't agree.

We became friends through work and even though I was always I bitch towards him at first he had still tried to get to know me better. He was the only one I had let in over the last years. It was a hard journey for me to let him gain my trust and even to this day I don't know why I let him in. 

"No." He wanted me to step in for his boyfriend who had some important family issue to deal with and be his partner for the night at a dancing class somewhere in Soho. I used to dance a lot and it was something where I could just be without thinking and without caring but the memory has become hazy and almost forgotten. I don't even know when the last dance session of mine was, it all seems like an eternity away. To be honest, I was scared to face one of my old passions, I don't want that to get taken away. 

Again.

"Come on, it's going to be fun." I turn to him in disbelief, realizing his mistake he quickly corrects himself. "Not fun, it's going to be boring, perfect for you." I notice the side of his mouth twitching fighting a smile. 

I pull the best nonchalent look I can but honestly I was trying not to laugh myself. This idiot loves to tease me. "Are you making fun of me? You know that won't help you convince me."

He sighs in defeat as if giving up. I feel a sudden rush of guilt. Maybe I shouldn't be that hard on him I mean he did give me a place to stay here in Brooklyn and he fought for our friendship when I didn't give him any chance at all. I owe him.

I close my eyes hoping that I wouldn't regret this decision. ''Alright, I'll be your partner. But only this once. And stop grinning like that, it's annoying.'' I roll my eyes as he gives me a hug.

Please, don't let me regret this.

-----

I just finished work at a local  pub making drinks at the bar. I was a horrible bartender, not because I was bad at making drinks it's because I never initiate any talk with the customers. If they want to talk so badly they should go to a shrink and not some stranger. It's good that they appreciate my skills or I would have to find another place to work at. Even though Gale lets me live with him I insisted on giving him a part of the rent, there is no need to owe him more than I already have.