22. Think of me as dead

Start from the beginning

  I feel the pull and my soul is smoothly pulled out of my body to quickly travel to the center of the city. I don’t control my awake-out of body walking skill that good yet so this feels quite thrilling.

  The streets are filled with people even at this time of the evening and I give out a small cry when I suddenly fly up into the sky along a skyscraper. I try not to look down because I am scared at high heights. I can’t crash to my death in this state but it is nerve-wracking since I never experienced it before.

  I can barely see the people on the streets under the lights and turn my attention towards the windows I’m swishing past instead. I stop almost at the top and land inside an office landscape. Few lights are switched on, but I can’t see anyone in here. I guess no one is working late this particular evening.

  My knees would wobble if I had them with me. I smirk at my own thought. I don’t remember what it feels like. The most nervous thing I have ever been through was when Jake kissed me the first time. We were lying down so I didn’t need my knee support.

  That happened before his and my life changed forever because of Paxia. What I wouldn’t do to be that innocent again. I don’t want to be a cold-hearted killer. I had no choice but to become one. It’s an irreversible cure that I have to live with. I will probably take more lives before my adventure is over.

  I glide through the corridors into a more private hallway. The floor is draped in a deep red carpet and the walls are made of dark wood. It smells strongly of incense and I’m surprised over how well my body-less soul feels the surrounding smells. I never paid much attention for it before, but I guess there are more things to discover along the way about my new abilities.

  I know where I am now. This is the famous treasure collector Chris Parson’s private chambers.

  Delicate treasures are located along the hallway and the Pars emblem is embroidered into the heavy red curtains that are neatly located around the hall to give a more intimate feeling. 

  A big statue is waiting at the end of the hall and my hand is drawn up to the necklace around its neck. My soul-fingers grasp around the pale blue uneven stone and suddenly everything disappears around me. The stone connects with me and it feels like I finally can understand what I am; A traveller. This must be the key. I don’t understand why Dad wanted to wait to find it when it was this easily.

  The whole world already feels in balance. I feel in control. The power is stronger than the one Tarih provides me. I take the necklace and look for an escape route. I don’t think an item can walk through walls. It would be cool though. The blue stone sparkles like a diamond in my hand and I don’t understand why anyone would like to give it away freely.

  Tarih is holding me even at this place. It’s a different part of Tarih in this form. I can connect to it through my activated necklace. My soul is here, but it is connected to my body. I can see the green teleport strings clearly and I step into it without a second thought.

  I never teleported as a soul, but it feels just the same. I land in Lex room and I wave the newfound necklace in front of him. He snaps his head in my direction and his eyes gets big. I walk up to him and leave it in his hand. The whole situation feels surreal, but so did my whole life since the day I was swept into Paxia. I’m not sure what can surprise me anymore; probably a lot.

  “Meryl?” he says insecure.

  I look down at my dazed body that’s resting peacefully next to Lex. He’s right; my eyes are changed to his exact eye-colour. I’m not pretty, I look famished but so does Lex. I sink back into my own limbs and put a calming hand over the hand that holds my key.