Apartments

Nobody likes coming back to an empty apartment,and neither did Harry when he entered his modestly large apartment at 7 in the evening. If it was not for Buddy , he would never like coming back home.

"Buddy! Here boy! " he called out, after dropping his car keys in the key bowl and taking off his fedora which adorned his head.

A small little Lhasa came running around hearing upon Harry's voice, fluttering about his feet and whining loudly. Smiling, Harry crouched down towards Buddy rubbing his furry little head affectionately.

"Missed me boy? " he cooed and went towards the kitchen top, keeping down his files and laptop.

The little dog barked in response and went towards Harry's bedroom. Following his dog, he entered his bedroom, unbuttoned his shirt and dropped into the laundry basket along with the black jeans he was wearing. Only opting for a grey sweatpants and no shirt cause there was no one here, he washed his face thrice before walking towards his bed. Buddy was in a small bundle on the bed dozing.
Harry fell hard on his bed, making it groan in annoyance. Buddy woke up at the noise, and cuddled near him. Harry absent-mindedly petted the dog thinking about Lenin Street and the report. If he was to write the report, and excel in it he would have to firstly take a week or two off from the office, which wouldn't be a problem because Sanders hated seeing Harry in office, next he would have to drop Buddy with somebody who would take care of his dog.

Sitting up, he grabbed his i-Phone from the bedside table and called the only person he knew would happily take care of Buddy.

"Rosa? Hi, Harry here " he spoke into the speaker.

The cheery voice of the sports journalist replied" Hey, wassup? "

" I- uh -  need you to keep Buddy for a week or more.. Can you keep him please? "

Rosa smiled on the other side of the call and said" Of course Harry! Bring him over now.. Yeah, and then we'll have dinner together. Say what? Louis is home early today. "

Grimacing slightly, he said" Yeah, that'll be nice. Thanks! I'll be over in 10 "

Agreeing to the same Rosa disconnected the call to prepare some extra dinner.

Harry on the other hand sat up from his cozy bed and walked towards his weathered and beaten down closet to choose a peach coloured shirt and usual black jeans. Quickly changing he doned over his staple fedora and essentials like his cell and house keys.
Grabbing Buddy's favorite collar with his name embossed on it, which Harry's sister had gifted Buddy. They were ready.

"Bud! Here boy! " Harry called out, while packing a small bag with Buddy's stuff in it. The dog appeared and nuzzled near Harry's legs. Taking on his leash, they left the apartment.

Rosa and her fiancé Louis' s house was nearby Harry's apartment. So within couple of minutes they reached the penthouse.

Louis Tomlinson was the sole owner of Tomlinson industries whose yearly income is said to be in 100 billion. He was set to marry his childhood sweetheart in the upcoming year, but for now they lived in a lavish penthouse.

Harry buzzed the intercom, and let himself at the receiving parlour. It was tastefully decorated with a Picasso painting hanging above the low seating arrangement, with a couple of antique books showcased in a ceiling to floor library stack (Rosa and Louis were avid readers), a medium sized glass cupboard which held awards received by the couple.
Harry held Buddy near him as he sat down on the designer sofas.

"Harry! Long time no see mate! " announced Louis as he walked in wearing a custom made Armani suit.

" Yeah... Hello " mumbled Harry as he played with Buddy's ears. He never felt really comfortable at this highly costly house.

" Harry, darling! " cried Rosa as she entered wearing a Gucci dress matching her fiancé.

" Rosa.  Thank you for having me and Buddy " Harry said sitting up straight, trying to quiet Buddy who was playing with Louis at the moment.

" Nonsense! I love having Buddy and sometimes you "she giggled sitting beside Louis.

" So, when are you going to see Gem? "Rosa asked intertwining her hands with her fiancé and smiling towards Harry.

Harry awkwardly cleared his throat and said" No where near soon Rosa... " Glancing at the couple's inquisitive looks on their faces he continued" I'll working on a report which would require my full attention. I don't know when I'll be coming home or going out.. It'll hardly be fair making Buddy suffer with me. So I'm hoping you'll be keeping him "

" What will you be working on Harry?" Louis asked.

"Lenin Street happenings. A lot of dealings are taking place near that street.. Since its near the docks,it is convenient to export illegal stuff or to import. "

Louis glanced at his fiancée and nodded towards her.

" I'll be back with some drinks " announced Rosa and she walked out of the room.

Louis leaned towards Harry" What more do you know about Lenin Street? Do you know the street players out there now? "

Harry shook his head but looked at him suspiciously. Why was Louis so interested? What was going on? Did the city industries have a hand in it? Was Louis involved in it?

His blue eyes gleaming Louis said" What I'm going to say, you haven't heard it from me. But because you're Rosa's best friends brother, I ought to tell you some stuff about it. "

He about to say it but Rosa entered the room, with a salver carrying some peanuts and a bottle of red wine.

Sipping on some wine, Louis continued" I have a whole parking bay under my control at the docks. So it's pretty important for me to know about the street scenarios to be on the safe side. From what my ground team has learnt, that there are mainly 2 big gangs ruling there. One is the family of Payne's, who had the sole monopoly of the dealings. Recently a new gang has come up... No one knows it's name but they've only sighted an Asian girl forerunning the exchanges. She's is very dangerous. Murders and encounters are very common in Lenin Street, and it's easy for them to dispose the body into the bay, and they have an understanding with the police who'll never dredge the area. " Louis took a huge gulp of wine and paused.

Harry, who had been nibbling on peanuts finished his glass of wine before asking" Why? Why don't the police dredge the area?"

Rosa shook her head " because dredging that area would open up so many cases Harry. It'll show the city's police in a bad light. It's better to let the sleeping dogs lie."

Louis helped himself to another glass of wine before saying "I'm pretty sure that Young gets money from those bastards." 

Young was the police superior of the city.

"All I want to say Harry is... Lenin Street is very dangerous. Do another report! Like the Mayor race or something like that... I care for you a lot, like my own brother.. And I won't be able to show my face to Gem or Anne if something happened to you Haz.. " Rosa whispered taking Harry's hand in hers.

" It'll be alright Rosie.. I'll be fine.. But I will do this report. I will shed light on this messy matter. " Harry said slowly slipping his hands away from Rosa.

Louis stood up, followed by Harry and Rosa. He hugged Harry tightly" I have faith in you Styles. Do what you need to and be careful. Me and Rosa are always here to help you "

Harry smiled at the couple. So what if he didn't have many friends? He had them.. And Harry knew whatever might happen Rosa and Louis will always have his back.

" Thanks mate. " was all he could say, because Rosa shrieked softly.

" Goodness! Look at the time.. Poor Buddy must be starving! Come on you two. Dinner is served. "

Sitting down at the grand dining table and looking at Rosa and Louis,Harry realised one thing. A four walled space doesn't make your apartment an apartment.. But if you can share some fond memories with a place and have someone to share it with, that made that space so much more...  Much more than an apartment.. It made it home.

___________________