THE ANATOMY OF MELANCHOLY
THE SECOND PARTITION
THE CURE OF MELANCHOLY
THE SYNOPSIS OF THE SECOND PARTITION.
Cure of melancholy is either
* Sect 1. General to all, which contains
* Unlawful means forbidden,
* Memb. 1. From the devil, magicians, witches, &c., by
charms, spells, incantations, &c.
* Quest. 1. Whether they can cure this, or other such
* Quest. 2. Whether, if they can so cure, it be lawful
to seek to them for help?
* or Lawful means, which are
* Memb. 2. Immediately from God, a Jove principium by
* Memb. 3. Quest. 1. Whether saints and their relics can
help this infirmity?
Quest. 2. Whether it be lawful to sue to them
* or Memb. 4. Mediately by Nature which concerns and
* Subsect. 1. Physician, in whom is required science,
confidence, honesty, &c.
* Subsect. 2. Patient, in whom is required obedience,
constancy, willingness, patience, confidence,
bounty, &c., not to practise on himself.
* Subsect. 3. Physic, which consists of
* Dietetical A
* Pharmaceutical B
* Chirurgical C
* or Particular to the three distinct species, D, E, F
A Sect. 2. Dietetical, which consists in reforming those six
non-natural things, as in
* Diet rectified 1. Memb.
* Matter and quality 1 Subs.
* Such meats as are easy of digestion, well-dressed,
hot, sod, &c., young, moist, of good nourishment,
* Bread of pure wheat, well-baked.
* Water clear from the fountain.
* Wine and drink not too strong, &c.
* Mountain birds, partridge, pheasant, quails,
&c. Hen, capon, mutton, veal, kid, rabbit, &c.
* That live in gravelly waters, as pike, perch,