Finding Home Part 7

Start from the beginning

"All right, all right. You guys were totally right. My feet are killing me. I don't suppose you brought any socks, did you?"

Logan whipped out a cozy, thick pair of hiking socks and Andie nearly swooned.

She pulled both the socks and shoes on her feet then let out a sigh. "Heaven. So, what are you guys doing here?"

"We came to take over the bake sale for awhile. Why don't you go get something to eat? Get some supper or an ice-cream cone. We can handle it from here," Shawn said.

Andie glanced at her watch. 5 o'clock. Already the sun was riding low in the sky and the warmth of the afternoon was leaching away. Her brothers could probably handle the last few hours of the sale. She shivered and Logan grinned again.

"What?" she asked.

He reached into his backpack and pulled out her favorite sweater.

A laugh burbled up out of Andie. "And here I thought I was the one taking care of you!"

Logan plopped down in one of the folding chairs behind the table. "We take care of each other."

Shawn let one eyebrow drift upward. "And it might be good if you remembered that every once and awhile."

And it was true. Sometimes, Andie forgot. Sometimes, it felt like all the responsibility for their family fell on her shoulders, but the truth was, she put it there herself. Shawn was a capable and thoughtful man. He was as responsible as she was, but she had a hard time letting go, letting anyone else be in control. And the only person she had to blame for that was herself. Even Logan was getting older now, able to do stuff for himself that he hadn't done before. Maybe it was time to let go a little, to let herself have fun, to find enjoyment where she could. For years, she'd been wishing for this very thing, but now that it was actually here, a little tingle of fear snaked across her scalp. Because if she didn't have the role of adopted mom, or the provider, to hide behind, then who was she? She wasn't sure she was brave enough to find out, but at least she could take a step in that direction.

She moved away from the table. "You're sure?"

Shawn nodded. "Yup. Get going. It's not only your shop we're trying to save. It's our family's shop. We should do our fair share." He walked over to where Conner sat in the other folding chair and gave him nudge. "You too, man. Leave the puppy, too. We'll take care of him for a little bit. Get out of here. I know you've been here all day and that your shift at the pub starts at eight. Go get some food."

The two men stared each other down for a second, some sort of wordless communication passing between them. Then, Conner grinned, his dimple sliding into place. "Thanks, dude." He stood up and slapped Shawn on the back. "I am hungry."

He stepped over to Andie, tucked the curl that kept poking her in the eye behind her ear. "Want to get something to eat?"

She smiled up at him, ready to enjoy the evening, despite the tingle of nerves in her belly. "Sure, but do we have to go inside? It's so beautiful out."

"Why don't we walk down by the water? We could get some hot dogs or something to go at Lakeside."

"That sounds right."

Andie buttoned her sweater over her chest, grateful for the warmth as they walked by the shore. Gentle waves swished against the thick wall of boulders that lined the long, grassy expanse of land that flowed from the hotels and restaurants all the way to the water. White tent canopies glinted in the sunlight as people strolled from vendor to vendor, enjoying the artwork and blaze of red and orange leaves that decorated the trees overhead.